112 - Emmy

So I'm sad to say that there are only four more chapters left of Sketch after this part.  After two long years, the first draft is finally finished!  I feel so happy :)  Thank you for all of your support so far, and hopefully in the future too.  I'm already thinking up ideas for my next book, and I'd love to have you all on board with that one too.

Getting signed was sudden and definitely unexpected but completely and utterly welcomed.  Within days we're back on track again. 

It's a whirlwind.  Everything's moving so fast.  It's like life's on fast-forward, but we're still getting to enjoy the sensation of everything that's going on. 

Jeremy's in the process of sorting things with Walter's, making sure that we're free from them forever.  Liberty records is our new home now and I can't help seeing the name as a good omen.

Within weeks we've started recording again, we're living in a much cooler flat, and we're booked on a TV show.  It's crazy how many interviews we do; online, for magazines and on the radio.  No-one mentions our past either.  Everyone's focused on the future of Sketch, just like us. 

We even get a party thrown for us where Jeremy announces that our album has a release date.

"Two weeks and we could have a top ten album," Sam says from our bed.  He's strumming his acoustic guitar as I decorate our freshly painted bedroom.  I finish hanging photographs on the far wall, painted a deep forest green, and step back to admire my handy-work.  Mum had given me a collage her and Tabs' made when I went to visit them last week.  I only got to see them for a day but they're coming up for the album launch and I can't wait to show them around London.

Dad fell in love with Sam within minutes of meeting him and now he keeps texting him, much to Sam's amusement.  Mum was pleased to see my hair still isn't blue and Tabs wants a pony; a new career choice is an Olympic show-jumper apparently.

"It's crazy," I agree, coming to sit beside Sam.  "This could actually be the start of something."

"I hope so," Sam says.  "It feels good so far."

I pick up Sam's notepad from the bed and read over what he's written.  "A happy song," I say.  "For a change."

Sam smiles, his fingers moving over the guitar strings at a steady pace.  The result is an uplifting sound, channelling hope and determination.

"It's only ideas," he says.  "Nothing concrete."

"Can I try them out?" I ask.

He nods.  "I'll start from the top."  He pauses, shifting his fingers to a different chord.  "I'll count you in."

I clear my throat, watching Sam for my cue.  He counts back from three and then I do my best to interoperate his words into lyrics.  I sound off at first, unsure, but then on the second line it starts to feel right.

"So tell me lover, is this what you had in mind.  When you took my hand in summer, let me be your guide.  You let me get to know you, told me secrets in the sun.  When only a week had passed, my heart had found the one."

I sing what there is of the rest of the song, humming to fill the gaps until Sam stops playing to watch me with a smile on his face.

"I can't believe we're going to get to do this every day."

"And get paid for doing it," I add.  "Think of all the shoes I can buy."

Sam laughs.  "I was thinking more along the lines of going on holiday.  Or going to loads of gigs or festivals."

"We'll get to play festivals."

"I can't wait to tour," Sam says, a dreamy look on his face. 

"Being stuck on a tour bus with three smelly boys sounds amazing," I deadpan.

Sam laughs, setting his guitar against the wall before bundling me into his arms.  "You'd love it."

"As long as I'm with you, sure."

I close my eyes just before our lips meet.

"How about that chorus then?" I say finally, once I've caught my breath back.

Sam smiles and it makes me feel whole. "You're on."