46 - Emmy

Dedicated to CrazedAllTheWay101!

Sam's gone when I wake up.  I'm facing away from where he was but the lack of warmth tells me he's missing.  I sit up, combing a hand through my hair, covering a yawn with the other one.  I feel tired and stiff.  I'd slept the whole night through but it hadn't been peaceful.  Every dream was filled with Sam and every one had a different reason why he'd lost his smile several times yesterday.

I rub the sleep from my eyes before throwing the duvet back.  Sam's bed is comfy and it's only half eight in the morning but I need to find him.  It's like I can't function properly without knowing where he is.

The lounge smells of bacon and I spot Sam standing in front of the grill, his shoulders a little hunched.  I head straight to him.  He hasn't heard me over the sound of the kettle boiling and bacon sizzling and I hover behind him for a moment, trying to decide if hugging him from behind this early in the morning is a girlfriend thing to do.  I bite my lip and do it anyway.  He seems to relax when he feels my arms around him and he turns to face me.  His eyes are tired looking, a little bloodshot, but his smile is genuine and warm.

"Morning," he mumbles into my hair.

I smile.  "Hey."

"I'm making breakfast," he says, straightening back up from planting  a sweet kiss on my forehead.  "Hope you're hungry."

I nod.  "Definitely."

I let go of him so I can fetch a drink and the sound of a door opening makes me look over my shoulder.  Ollie's stretching his arms above his head as he wanders over to us.  I pour him a drink too and he takes it with a smile as he sits down at the breakfast bar.

"That lovely smell woke me up," he says, pointing to where the bacon is in the grill.

"Sam's making me breakfast," I announce, giving Sam an appreciative smile.

He's gazing into space but the sound of  a crash breaks him out of his thoughts just as it causes Ollie and I to look to the lounge.  Vince is leaning into the sofa next to an upturned amp, clutching his toe.  His face is a little red.

"Dudes," he says, his voice strained.  "Learn to clear up your shit."

Sam smiles at the sight of Vince in pain and I'm glad that the strange look on his face is gone.  He looks like Sam again.  "When you learn to wash up, I'll think about moving my stuff out of your way.  And stop swearing in front of Emmy."

"I'm sorry, Emmy.  I forgot you don't cuss."

I shrug at Vince.  "I only swear when I'm really upset or angry.  I don't see the need."

Vince hobbles to the kitchen and collapses onto the stool next to Ollie's.  "Too early for this crap.  You can give me some of that bacon to make up for it."

Sam points the spatula at Vince, about to turn the bacon over in the grill.  "This is Emmy's breakfast."

"Girl's not going to eat a whole pack of the stuff," Vince complains.

I sit down opposite him. "We can all share."

Sam glares at Vince before nodding.  "Vince gets the burnt bits."

"Charming."

Breakfast is full of loud chatter as Ollie and Vince get into a heated argument over which band it would be better to tour with.  I get asked my opinion and I give it, but I can't help noticing how Sam's not at the table with us.  He's sitting next to me, his arm against mine, but I can tell that his mind is elsewhere.  I want to ask him about it but the same argument as last night rises in my mind.  Besides, if he wants to tell me he will.  We're boyfriend and girlfriend, we don't have secrets.