CHAPTER 7

The Compound

2010

Xander's eyes followed his ceiling fan around and around as his standard issued clock ticked to fifteen minutes till 2000. He pulled himself up from his bed, put on a pair of brown cargo pants and the jean jacket he had found, with the Spartan logo patched on to his arm. He followed the street down until he found a large, rectangular glass structure. Xander could see the other recruits milling about through the glass. He inhaled a lungful of air and then exhaled his worries. As he hastened to turn the knob, Xander sensed someone behind him. He turned and saw a beautiful girl waiting to enter the Mess Hall along with him.

"Hi..." she said through a smile. Xander had seen her before, looking through her window at his arrival. She lived in the white house next door. She had long red curls throughout her hair that sometimes fell over her piercing glacier blue eyes. She was naturally pale and had freckles dusted over her high cheek bones. She had small, sharp features and a constant natural blush upon her cheeks. The sight of her shot a tingle through Xander's arm from his elbow to his fingertips. It was as if the tourniquet had been released and blood began to circulate again through his body letting the warmth return to his extremities while his heart pulsated through his chest.

Red hair, blue eyes? I don't think I have ever seen that combination before.

Xander almost forgot to respond.

"Hi... I'm Xander," he couldn't help but to hold a smile on her.

"I'm Fiona," she said, gesturing bashfully to the door. Xander had completely forgotten to turn the knob, as he was still frozen on the sight of her. He shook his head, apologized and opened the door for her. She filtered through the Mess Hall, but Xander stopped upon entry to survey the room. Inside, two tables stood where he would be eating his meals. Lining the back wall was a set of pool tables, a few dart boards and a shuffle board.

Even the recreational games train my aim and dexterity.

As soon as Xander entered all eyes darted to him as the other recruits took their seats at the tables. Xander took the last remaining chair, trying to not be noticed, although his attempts were useless. He sat next to a brown-haired recruit doing a crossword puzzle from the day's newspaper. At first his head didn't pop up, his attention consumed by the puzzle. It wasn't until he finished a line or two that he noticed the new kid on the block beside him. He lifted up from the puzzle and popped the pen behind his ear. He had a wild smile that showed while he introduced himself.

"Hey, I'm Ezra, Ezra Gonet. Who are you?" he spoke in a loud whisper.

"Xander" Ezra had a slight, lanky quality to him that was diminished by his bulging chest, inflated by his erect posture. Deep bags under his eyes made it look like he needed sleep.

"That's an odd name." Ezra perked up towards him.