CHAPTER 24

The Compound

2010

Xander shuffled awake up off the couch before the monitor setup on his coffee table. His hair stood straight up on his left side from where it was sprawled out on the cushions throughout the night. The stitching of the fabric had imprinted on the side of his face. Xander lumbered off the couch and into the kitchen and began brewing coffee. His mind recalled the previous night and the conversation he had with Fiona.

She can't be a double agent... she's just too... human.

As most Saturday mornings, he spent some time in the seat next to his bookshelf. Having never studied Philosophy, his analysis of Plato's Republic was fresh, well-reasoned and thorough. He found the text generally intriguing and captivating to his inquisitive nature. It was a mental exercise for him, something that was difficult to find for someone of his intelligence. It was a different species of intelligence – it was wisdom.

The coffee pot exhaled the last breaths of its brew into a mug for his enjoyment. Xander walked out onto his covered porch with his coffee mug. He saw Ezra coming out of his house and sidling in the other direction. There was no interest in his eyes, he looked exhausted. He narrowed in on Ezra and realized something had gotten to him. Whatever it could be, it wasn't only on his mind but it was on his sleeve as well.

For better or worse, Ezra usually opened his mouth first and was the last to close it. But he remained tightlipped, refusing to participate in the ridiculous deliberations about the following day's battle.

Xander was the only one to notice for he was always the most observant. He knew that there wasn't enough evidence to form any plausible explanation for Ezra's erratic behavior. His friend looked depressed, weak and downtrodden – Xander knew as a friend, he would have to talk to Ezra.

Later that day, the Spartans finished lunch – some went to the fitness center to work out, others tried the new assault rifles out in the Armory. Xander jogged ahead to catch up with Ezra before he made it back into his house.

"Hey buddy"

"Oh hey, Xander..." Ezra was despondent – an unusual characteristic for a recruit of his charm.

"I was just wondering if you wanted to hang out and do something today." Ezra paused a moment and saw Xander's sincerity and concern.

"I'm fine, Xander," Ezra's sour response indicated that he knew what Xander was implying.

"I know you are, but I want to hang out." Ezra began to shake his head and then he stopped and looked up at his friend. He sighed his reluctance away and caved.

"Okay, let's go shooting tonight. After dinner? I'm feeling a little tired today. In fact I'm going to go take a nap right about now." He forced a long yawn and stretched his arms all the way through his fingertips.

"Seeya then Ezra." Ezra nodded and closed his front door with as much apathy as he had started the conversation. Xander was left uneasy and left to his own speculations.

«————————»

Darkness fell that evening, Xander whipped up a quick dinner and headed toward the Armory where he grabbed a Remington 700 VLS hunting rifle. Xander proceeded to the Thicket where the Nest was perched. The Nest was a hunting fort built high in a tree on the South side of the Thicket. On Saturdays, small game would be released into the area; any animals that did not survive the night would be collected and discarded. There was a large window in the Nest looking out onto a clearing, where wildlife convened.