CHAPTER 18

The Compound

2010

When Xander woke up in the Infirmary, there was a strange woman smiling down on him through a wide frozen grin and bulging eyes. She had pale cover-up smoothed over her cheeks, beneath a red blush. Her face stretched thin from Botox injections. Her hair was perfect - it fell to her shoulders with a slight curve so one could see her pearl earrings.

"Now I hear you are Alexander Whitt, one of our most gifted Spartans!" she spoke to him like he was three years old. It was very odd, especially after being treated like an adult for the last six months.

"People call me Xander..."

"Well, allow me to introduce myself. I am Senator Helen Bashfield. I work for the government," she spoke like she was reading a children's book.

"Nice to meet you." He offered his hand, but his ribs zapped him with pain for the attempt.

"I hear you suffered from quite a fall, Xander."

"I'm fine," he shrugged.

"Well I just wanted to introduce myself and make sure you are being treated well here and to let you know if you need anything I am here for you. If you don't like it here, we may be able to get you out early and put you to good use elsewhere." Xander grew perplexed.

"Put me to good use elsewhere?"

"There is a demand for spies like you, especially in the Middle East. I can assure you that you would be under my direct supervision. As Chairwoman of the Committee on Homeland Security I am in many ways the guardian of Project Sparta." The moment hung.

"Really?" Xander feigned interest.

"Yes... As a matter of fact, I created all of this to craft the best operatives America has ever had... You are beyond the training of your other Spartans, Xander. You are special. You should come with me and start making a difference for this country..." She explained in a tone of wild admiration.

This woman wants me to leave my training prematurely and be her clandestine errand boy? How did she get in here? Where is Hardy? Everything from head to stiletto of this lady seemed rehearsed.

"I have a job to do here...I like where I am. I am learning a lot, thank you." He had learned from the recent course of events that trusting someone blindly can backfire. She had a subtle look to her that Xander noticed. Her expression remained frozen, yet her eyes retreated – hurt. Xander felt the only reason anyone would act in such a way was because they were hiding something. He had a keen ability to read people, but it took no genius to see this woman was as robotic as Anni.

"Well... If you would like to come see me after you graduate, feel free to do so and we can maybe accommodate some of your wishes. Or... you could ask Hardy at any time and I can contact you."

What the hell is this lady talking about? She is the woman behind the curtain? She's trying to take me from the program out from under Hardy's wing?

"Yeah... okay." Xander scoffed, knowing that the woman before her had no concern for him. An eerie feeling struck him that turned to distaste for all government bureaucrats – a distaste that would remain with him his whole life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like it? Don't forget to Vote and Comment! What did you think?