CHAPTER 20

The Compound

2010

Xander ached through the recovery in the Infirmary but his deep contemplation took the edge off. He had begun devising his plan on how to set up reconnaissance on Fiona. Not only was he determined to carry out his mission as assigned, but he had to know for sure – for himself. He knew he had been emotionally comprised but he had to stay on point.

Nursing a few fractured ribs, a sprained ankle and a concussion, Xander's body remained entrenched in the infirmary bed throughout the three days of recovery. He had become mentally exhausted from his analyses of different courses of action. He knew his plan, the only question was whether his body would be ready to carry it out in time.

Xander sucked in a deep breath. A crippling pain shot into his abdomen, as his lungs inflated against his fractured ribs. A brief thought surfaced about his point total from the battle, but he did not let the leaderboard concern him. He had been deployed for active service, but since he was confined to the bed, he was left to the storm of his own speculation.

Am I the only Spartan who is currently on assignment? Is someone monitoring my activity? Would there be surveillance in my house when I return? To effectively set up surveillance, I'll need time. The other Spartans need to be in class.

His eyes found the high window above his bed.

I'll need to retrieve the surveillance equipment tonight. I can't be seen by anyone. Cusick should be in the Mainframe as he is usually is late at night, but how do I get their unseen...

Xander's eyes found the corner of the ward. There, a camera angled down over the room. It was the only surveillance camera in the Compound, used in case of medical emergencies. Xander wondered who was watching from the other end. Regardless, he would have to make his move.

Xander could see the twilight dome overhead through a skylight in the Infirmary. Doctor Rodgers had left for the night, so the only attendant of the Infirmary was Nurse Jenny. He noticed a new issue of People magazine poking out of her bag when she clocked in. He knew this would keep her busy in the office for the time he needed.

"Okay, here are some sleeping pills that will help you rest through the night." Nurse Jenny brought Xander a paper cup with two orange pills in it. Xander thought how nice sleep would be and threw back the pill like a shot. He swallowed. Nurse Jenny saw his budding Adam's apple drop and left him to his bed.

"Get some sleep... You're going home tomorrow..." she spoke through a comforting smile.

Xander couldn't help but chuckle.

Home? You're kidding me? I've never had a home, I live in a house in a top secret compound deep underground... You really mean to tell me this is supposed to be home?

Nurse Jenny had retreated to the back office which was detached from the Infirmary ward. She hit the lights on the way, leaving Xander in the dark. After a few moments, he heard the quick flapping of a magazine as if someone had flung open a newspaper. He knew that was his cue and so his tongue came out of his mouth with two orange pills steadied on it. He inserted them into the crack between his mattress and frame and then grabbed the top pillow off of three nearby beds to stuff his bed. Xander then stepped up and through the small window, overlooking his bed. The pain shot out from his quivering ribs, but Xander swallowed it down, before it could escape his lips.

He dropped onto the snowy Compound floor and jogged low and discretely to the Armory. He waited by the window for thirty seconds or so but didn't see any flashes. He dropped into the Armory through a small window and whimpered upon landing. After the pang subdued, he was able to find his footing and realized that he was standing in the middle of the gun range. He turned to the shooting mats and was surprised to see someone there aiming a gun down the range toward him.