CHAPTER 48

WASHINGTON, DC

2016

Dim lights shined down on the boardroom conference table, but did not shine on the nine silhouettes lining the table. Hands were visible on the table, revealing rings and Rolexes. Some hands were masculine, others were feminine. The Chairman at the head of the table spoke before the others.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the Collective, I'd like to first thank you for meeting on such short notice. We have an update from the field. I am proud to report that Ezra is in play. Xander chose true justice, this stands as evidence that he is the one. We must be very careful to not over manage him, but stay in our shadows and let this play out naturally. I trust in Ezra's approach and so we will do our part, but from afar," the Chairman's voice explained.

"But Ezra killed Helen Bashfield, a member of this Collective." The silhouette noted the empty chair at the other end of the conference table. "How can we trust him when he assassinated one of us?"

"Because I told him to." The room was silent but respectful and patient, awaiting an explanation. The Chairman continued.

"She corresponded over the phone in matters having to do with the Collective. We know the government is watching everything and we cannot be so clumsy as our plan is coming to fruition. Granted that Phase Two goes according to plan, Ezra will have that seat."

Despite a slight hesitance in the room, the silhouettes complied with their leader's directives.

"When does Phase Two begin?" A voice came from the shadows.

"Preparations for Apollo are on schedule and underway. In three short months, Apollo will be in play and this country will never be the same." A sinister hiss came from the Chairman's voice as the shadows around the table, clapped their hands in eager anticipation.