CHAPTER 43

The Compound

2011

The scalpel struck the wooden table, right between Fiona's fingers as the show for the camera continued. Fiona wailed in pain, acting as if it had stabbed her hand. Xander pointed the scalpel at her and continued his calm, yet assertive interrogation.

"You're a traitor, Fiona!" his voice rose in volume, ensuring the camera could hear him.

"No, I'm not! Xander, you have no idea what you are talking about!" Her plea became more defiant and direct.

"Then tell me why you were tracking me," he screamed.

"I told you, I can't, Xander! I'm under strict orders!"

The pounding on the door continued.

"From who?" Xander carefully and discretely untied the restraints from her arm. He then walked up to the middle of room and threw a bedpan up at the camera.

"Is it you, Hardy? Huh? You son of a bitch! You traitor, get your ass down here and face me yourself!"

The door flung open and Captain Axle barged in.

"Xander, what the hell are you doing? Stand down!" Axle's muscles pulsated in anger as he approached Xander. Fiona quietly got out of bed and crept behind Axle.

"You need to learn to respect your superiors, Spartan."

Xander's demeanor changed immediately. He was no longer acting for the camera, he had flushed out an instructor.

"I know about the C-4," Xander fired at him. Axle stopped on his heels, surprised by Xander's words but not denying them. "I know that you have been directed to kill Fiona. And guess what?" Xander paused and smiled. "She does too." At that moment, Fiona swung a bedpan at the back of Axle's head. The impact was hard, causing Axle to fall into Xander. The fight ensued, and Fiona retreated into the back of the Infirmary. Axle swung a disoriented right hook at Xander. He ducked and sent a sidekick straight into Axle's gut, knocking the wind from the man's lungs. Axle charged, tackling Xander to the ground. A caustic pain shot from Xander's kidneys. Axle's mass proved to be too much to grapple with as Xander was pinned to the Infirmary floor.

And then Axle's clenched muscles fell limp.

His weight pressed upon Xander, not with force but with weakness. Xander was able to push the unconscious captain off of him. He saw Fiona with an emptied syringe in her hand.

"A sedative?"

She shrugged. "They taught us to use the elements." He embraced her and gave her a kiss on the forehead, to which she smiled an expression of pure joy.

She does have feelings for me...she didn't fake that.

Xander smiled for a moment as his heart leaped in his chest. They only allowed themselves a few moments and then returned to business immediately. Xander knelt over Axle and rummaged through his pockets.

"I broke into Hardy's office last night. There was an email to Axle instructing him to kill you because I had seen you observing me and trying to make a drop. Now you have got to tell me, why did you do that?" Xander asked, while pulling out Axle's keycard.

"Hardy told me to record everything about you and make a weekly drop. I have no idea why."

"They played us against each other. One of us would oust the other and the loser would be disposed of."

Fiona stopped, shocked by Xander's assertion. "They wouldn't do that. That's going too far," she objected.

"They planned to plant C-4 around your house. Sound familiar?"