CHAPTER 25

DuPont Circle

2016

Xander's truck rumbled down the side roads of the busy DC streets toward Mac Morrison's flat. He had heard the news when he woke up, which gave him a renewed purpose as he squeezed the steering wheel tight. Mac and Tobias both lived and worked out of DC full-time as support. Mac's surroundings were far different than those of Tobias. His residence was located in Dupont Circle, a young professional's playground. He lived in a swanky, chic apartment, stylized in a modern flare. Being from San Francisco, Mac had always had his own sense of style. Xander remembered that, even back in the days of the Compound, Mac used to add his own flare to the uniforms, flipping the cuffs of his jeans up above his ankles or rolling his sleeves. He always seemed to be an edgier, alternative breed to that of the typical teenager. When Xander came up the elevator, he noticed that Mac's door had already been opened, inviting him to enter.

Xander stepped into the chic apartment, everything ordered in a tidy and deliberate manner. He surveyed the interior and noted the small changes that had been made since his last visit. All and all it was the same abode that he remembered. One of the walls was brick - the color schemes were mostly darker pastels and the furniture was pristine, as if it were straight out of a catalog spread. Against the brick wall was a cohort of computers, monitors and hard drive cabinets.

"Knock, knock!" he announced himself from the center of Mac's apartment to no response. Xander approached the brick wall and scanned the central set of monitors, showing different angles of the exterior of the buildings. He also noted the surrounding monitors with feeds of people walking and cars driving by. He recognized a sign that read "Morton's" in the background of one of the surveillance feeds.

Morton' Steakhouse? That's two blocks from here. It seems Mac has expanded his perimeter. I knew he always liked to see you before you see him but damn... It looks like he's hacked into security cameras, traffic cameras, even an ATM. Impressive...

Xander remembered that the top secret lifestyle was a difficult transition for Mac. He became a recluse, rarely getting out to breathe fresh air. Rumor had it that the paranoia necessary for an effective cyber security specialist had gotten the best of him. Xander could tell as he noticed his development of certain neurotic mannerisms.

"Xander..." Mac walked in with a hand towel.

"Hey buddy!" Xander approached Mac with a hug, returned with a couple pats on his back.

"Been awhile you look good..." Xander noticed Mac also looked similar to how he did growing up. His glasses had only gotten thicker and his hair had only tightened to the modern comb over of the age. He was wearing blue corduroys and a red and white, gingham shirt that looked like it could have been a picnic table cloth. The major addition to his appearance was a full, but groomed, beard.

"Not too bad, yourself..." Xander rubbed his jaw bringing up the new beard.

"I know, I know, I'm so trendy right?" Mac laughed at himself.

"Looks good." Xander assured him. The pleasantries settled and the conversation shifted to business.

"What brings you by?" Mac asked, understanding the graveness of his presence just by the sight of him. Mac had always been not only concerned with his own appearance, but also others. He could tell by Xander's that something dire was at play and Xander could use a helping hand.

"I need everything you've got on a Hamal Abadi." Mac's eyes perked up. Xander noticed. "You know him?"

"No... I'm just curious, why... a little context would help my digging." Xander proceeded to recount the events of the last forty-eight hours. Mac stumbled back upon the indication that a defector was among them.