CHAPTER 45

WASHINGTON, DC

2016

Xander had suited up in the unconscious man's tuxedo and Jooles straightened his bowtie as they hastened to infiltrate the party upstairs. Under his jacket Xander had two 9mms snapped in a shoulder holster and six clips lined its straps. Jooles's black dress hugged her muscular frame tighter than that of the slender, gaunt figure of the blonde. Jooles had only space for one small pistol strapped to her right thigh.

"How much time do you think we have?" Jooles checked her watch and answered.

"Fireworks are scheduled to go off in fifteen minutes. I imagine it would be during the show." Xander's chin fell to his chest as he inspected his collar only to find a smear of lipstick. He smudged it with his thumb and smiled up at Jooles as she smooched her lips in the same shade that she had just applied.

"Let's go," together they processed down the hall dressed in black and whites. They came to a stop at the bottom of the stairwell, straightened their attire and breathed deeply. Poised with calm confidence, Xander offered his arm. Jooles accepted it and together they ascended the ornate stairwell, past the guards and into the thick of the crowd gathered on the rooftop terrace.

The museum's fifth floor terrace was draped in sheer white as decorative trellises lined the patio. Red roses climbed the cross-stitched wood grates that encased the area. Vertical lights shined on the exterior wall in red and white stripes while another set of lights shined white stars. Tables with hors d'oeuvres were scattered about as government types milled about with their dates. A classic uniformed serving staff switched out used plates for new sparkling dishes.

Forced laughs sounded as the party guests swapped stories. Xander and Jooles passed by still locked by the arm, whispering to each other.

"I have located Hardy, he is on the rooftop terrace of the American History Museum. I repeat rooftop terrace of the American History Museum." Ashton updated through the comms.

"Alright let's go get him.... And keep your eyes peeled, Agent Zero or any of his mercenaries could be here anywhere...," Xander instructed.

"I'll take the East side, you take the West." Jooles separated from her date and smiled for the onlookers. Xander offered a parting kiss on her cheek, keeping appearances up. And so they filtered separately through the party.

«————————»

Agent Zero entered through the front door of the American History Museum. The figure's hand dug into its coat for a trigger mechanism, connected to electrical wires that coiled up the coat's sleeve. The figure processed forward under the Star Spangled Banner display in the foyer and toward the party, pulling a pistol out and shooting both guards. Stepping over the guards Agent Zero processed up the stairs.

«————————»

Ashton's sniper scope located Hardy out on the terrace of the fifth floor of the American History museum, downing his Scotch and asking for another from the bar. Ashton readjusted her stance, pulling away from the scope for a moment when something caught her eagle eye up the mall. A black Suburban parked outside the National Gallery of Art. The scope roamed over the Mall and settled on a herd of men in black and white suits running into the Gallery.

"Seamus, I think you have company coming your way," she spoke up her wrist. She kept her scope on the Suburban which unloaded a couple of men, who proceeded on foot across the Mall toward the Air and Space Museum.