NINE

Danial

That moment at the door was enough to make his heart raced. He had not recognised the young woman standing at the door. Her face as white as snow held no significant to Danial until he saw Aidil appeared from the wall. Immediately he saw the resemblance of Sofea's face with his Aunt Aida's.

He had quickly regained his awareness and had gazed away from Sofea's lovely face. However his heart never stop racing.

Astaghfirullah hal'azim. What just happened back then?

Dahlia had managed to drag Danial along for their late lunch. It was already three in the afternoon. Danial had decided to take one day leave because he had a bad headache in the morning. But after taking medication, the headache had gone and he was healthy as a horse.

Dahlia had practically pleaded him to go, saying he should spend more time going out with people.

Deep in his heart, he had immediately agreed, but he did not want Dahlia to start teasing him any more than she already did. So he took his time to "decide" and finally said OK.

He had stole glances at Sofea a few times, which Aidil caught him red-handed a couple of times. Embarrassed, Danial avoided Aidil's hawk-eye. If he was right, Aidil was a very observant person and Danial do not want Aidil to start telling relatives about his attraction towards Sofea.

Astaghfirullah. What's wrong with me today? It must be the medication this morning.

Aidil drove them to the nearby shopping centre. After much argument between Dahlia and Danial, they finally decided to have lunch at Swensens, just because Dahlia wanted to get some ice cream for dessert.

Sofea had clapped with delight when Dahlia mentioned ice cream. She definitely needed an ice-cream to cool herself in the warm weather. And to cool her pumping heart down as well.

Once the host ushered them into the restaurant, Dahlia quickly took the booth's cushioned seat which Sofea joined her. Danial sat opposite of Dahlia while Aidil next to him.

"The men always gets the hard chair," Aidil commented as he thumbed through the menu that was already placed on the table.

Dahlia giggled as she took one of the menus. "Gentlemen let ladies sit on the good side of the table."

"Well you're not a lady. You're still a girl."

"And you're not a gentleman either!" Dahlia stuck out her tongue at him and quickly covered her face with the menu. "Sofea, don't you feel lucky to not have any siblings? I have such an annoying brother."

Sofea laughed at the siblings' behaviour. "Nah! I'd love to have a sibling where I can joke with and go out with. It's lonely sometimes to be the only child."

"Dahlia you're so insensitive," Danial commented as he turned to Sofea, trying to overcome his urge to look up into Sofea's pretty face. "Sorry about her. She's like that. I think my mum had too much sugar when she's pregnant with Dahlia. That's why she's so hyper."

Sofea smiled at his shyness and shrugged, "It's ok. I'm good."

Aidil clapped his hands and rubbed them together. "Alright then. Enough of all these bickering. I'm starving and I came here to eat."

After ordering, Aidil excused himself to go to the washroom while Dahlia decided to excuse herself saying she needed to make a phone call. Awkward silence filled the air between Danial and Sofea as the other two left.

Danial was fidgeting as he was not used to be left alone with a woman other than his mother or sisters. In fact if moments like this cropped up, he would definitely leave the table too. However, no excuses came up to his mind. In fact he was lost for words. He needed to say something to make the situation more bearable.