THIRTY TWO

Danial

He was on his knees in the small room, facing the qibla (the direction of the Kaabah, to which Muslims turn at prayer) with his hands up to his face. He had just done his magrib prayer and was praying for the safety of his wife and child.

The doctor had told him that she will try her best to save the baby, but looking at his heartbeat rate, it doesn't look promising. The fall may have been hit directly on the baby, causing trauma to him.

At the moment they will monitor the baby's heartbeat and hoping no contractions occur. If an active early labour occurs, Sofea may need to deliver the baby.

On the other hand, Sofea lost alot of blood and needed to undergo blood transfusion. Danial was relieved that her blood type is O which is the most common type.

It's been five hours and everyone was feeling anxious. Everyone left the hospital except for Farah, Aida, Aidil and Dahlia.

Danial entered the emergency ward and sat beside his mother. She was reading Surah Yasin over and over again to Sofea with the little book in her hands.

Lying on the bed, Sofea had all sorts of wire and tubes over her body. She was not feeling comfortable at all and kept fidgeting in her bed. She also has been asking the nurse how much longer.

Danial reached for her small hand and softly stroked it. Eventually Sofea stopped fidgeting and slowly fell asleep.

Danial glanced over the heartbeat monitor and wonder what does it means.

As his eyes scanned the monitor, his ears overheard a nurse's voice over his mother's. He heard the nurse mentioned "patient bed six", which is Sofea, "baby heartbeat is low".

His own heart skipped a beat. What does that mean? Will he lose his baby?

Turning towards his mother, Farah placed a supporting hand over his arm. "May Allah ease our affairs."

Danial nodded in defeat. He needed to stay calm. He needed to be brave in whatever outcomes may it be. He needed to be strong so he can comfort Sofea if anything were to go wrong. He needed to be prepared.

An hour later, Sofea woke up startled. She gripped his hands tightly and said, "My stomach hurts. I think the baby's coming."

Danial stood up in panic and shouted loudly, "We need a doctor or a nurse please."

Farah quickly put the Quran in her bag and went to get a nurse.

"Relax. Don't push. Repeat after me. Allahumma bihaqqi maryam, wa bihaqqi man unzilat 'alaihi suuratu maryam, khaffif 'anni aalaamil makhaadth, birahmatika ya arhamarraahimiin," said Danial to Sofea who repeated the prayer after him.

(The English translation of the dua - O Allah, with the blessing of Siti Maryam, and with the blessing of the Prophet Muhammad who sent her the Surah Maryam, alleviates my pain with your mercy O Most Merciful God.)

Soon it was chaos. A couple of midwives arrived. They unplugged the heartbeat monitor from her stomach and asked Sofea to transfer to another bed. Then they rolled Sofea in to a labour ward where another set of midwives took over.

Farah decided to wait in the waiting area with the rest of the family who was still around. So Danial had to soothe Sofea on his own.

"Sir, you can stay by your wife. Hold her hand, comfort her," one of the midwife exclaimed. "The doctor is on her way over. She's currently delivering another baby. We're hoping Mummy you can wait abit longer."

The other midwife announced, "You are dilated, and your cervix has opened 2cm. It may take a while for it to open to 10cm especially since this is your first time."