THIRTY ONE

Dear diary,

I'm excited for the day to hold my baby in my arms. After the appt, we went to get some baby apparels. As I look at all the blue stuff, I wonder who will the baby looks like. Danial's sisters wanted the baby to look like me. Apparently they think I look better than Danial. Obviously no. I would prefer for him to look like Danial. He is afterall a boy.

Countdown: 15 weeks left

Love,
S.H.

-------

Sofea

"Drink this up. You'll be more energetic," Danial said as he held out a cup that was half-filled with dark liquid.

Sofea peered in disgust and took a whiff. "Er.... what's this?"

"It's dates juice," he replied, still waiting for Sofea to take the cup from him.

Sofea gingerly took the cup and bring it to her mouth. She sipped it slowly and her face cringed. Placing the cup on the table, she shook her head.

Danial rolled his eyes upwards and pushed the cup to her. "Just gulped it down. It's just half a cup."

"Why should I?"

"Because this drink is good for you and the baby."

Sofea obeyed and quickly asked for a glass of plain water to wash off the sweet after-taste. She had never like dates, be it in the form of fruit or juice. But if Danial said it's good for the baby, she would take it for the baby.

It was a sunny Saturday. Sofea felt abit dizzy due to the weather. Even after a long cold shower, she still felt sweaty. Or maybe it was her hormones.

Life during pregnancy was quite heavenly, except for the first few weeks. Whatever Sofea asked for, she will get it. As her tummy grew bigger, the family grew excited. All of them were too eager to welcome a newborn in their family.

"What's your plan today?" Danial asked as he rubbed his hands together. He had a grin on his face which made Sofea wonder why.

"I'm kind of tired today. I thought I would like to stay home and catch up on sleep," Sofea replied as she wrapped her arms around her bulging tummy. "Been having sleepless nights due to the growing baby."

"Alright," Danial shrugged. Then he cleared his throat and added, "I had some work to do and I need to go back to my office to get it done. Is that ok with you?"

Sofea nodded. She thought it would be better if Danial were not around so he won't keep waking her up every few hours.

After Danial left, Sofea sat in the living room with a book in her hands. Propping a pillow behind her, she raised her legs up on the table. Once comfortable, she opened the book to the page with a folded corner and began reading. She decided to read for a few chapters before going to bed.

She was too engrossed into her book that she didn't realise someone was in the room with her until she smell the strong perfume. It was so strong it almost make her gagged. She looked up to find her uncle standing nearby.

Aidil was looking into the mirror and adjusting his hair. He had a black and blue stripes blouse and a black fitted jeans, which made him looked younger than his age.

"Ehem!!" Sofea announced her existence. Wringling her eyebrows at him, she grinned. "Someone looks handsome today."

Aidil smiled sheepishly and turned to Sofea. He placed a finger on his lips and whispered, "I'm going on a date."

Immediately Sofea squeal and jumped up from her seat, her book fell on the sofa. She was about to run forward to Aidil to give him a hug when she accidentally stepped on the fallen book and her left leg hit hard at the edge of the table. Before Aidil could catch her, Sofea fell face forward on the floor. Her stomach hit the floor hard and she screamed in pain.

Aidil rushed by her side. Once he was by her side, Aidil saw blood on Sofea's pants.

"Jamila!!!" Bellowed Aidil in panic.

Jamila appeared and saw the commotion. Before Aidil could instruct her, she ran to the phone and dialled the emergency number.

Soon Hajah Saleha and Haji Samad appeared in the doorway.

"Astagfirullah al-azim!" Hajah Saleha almost fainted when she saw Sofea crying in pain and soaked in blood.

Moments later all of them rushed to the hospital, leaving Jamila behind to clean the bloody floor.

-------

Danial

He was queuing in the bakery shop to get a slice of mint chocolate cake for Sofea. He knows how much Sofea loves mint & chocolate. Sofea is one weird woman - just like his little sister.

Danial had noticed the similarities between Sofea and Dahlia. And boy he didn't expect it.

He had thought he would have a more responsible and more serious wife. Someone like Dina. But fate is funny. He ended up with the shy yet cheeky one.

He had lied to Sofea about having some work. He thought he would like to give a small surprise for her.

Getting her a bouquet of flowers and a cake. Of course, there was no special occasion. He wanted her to know how happy and grateful he is. Especially now when Sofea is pregnant, he felt the need to make her feel special.

Despite that, he had a queasy feeling at the pit of his stomach since this morning. He couldn't put a finger on what was it.

When it was his turn to place an order, his handphone rang. "One mint chocolate cake," he said quickly to the teenage boy as he handed the five dollar bill to him.

"Assalamualaikum Mama," he said into the phone. The boy gave back his change and went on to get the cake.

"Wa'alaikumsalam. Where are you Danial?" Aida asked, her voice was filled with worry.

"Getting something for Sofea. What's the matter Mama? Is something wrong?"

His heart thumped in his chest. He knew something was wrong. The cashier placed a small cakebox in a clear plastic bag and handed it to him. He quickly took it with a grim smile and walked out of the door.

"Sofea. She's in the hospital now. Come quick!"

His cellphone almost fell from his grip - the same for his heart.
-------