THIRTY THREE

Sofea

He was a tiny baby. Maybe the size of her palms put together. His skin was reddish pale. His hair was black and thick. He looked like he has Sofea's nose. Aside from that, his features were just too little to compare them.

The baby was connected to wires measuring his oxygen, heartbeat and blood pressure. He also has a feeding tube in his nose and two more tubes to give medicines and take blood samples. It was a very sad thing to see.

Sofea was told that she was unable to carry him but she can put her hands in the holes to touch him. She sanitised her hands and put her hands in the incubator. She reached for his hands and felt his smooth skin.

Her heart sank and her tears fell. She wanted so badly to hold him. To kiss him. To feel his body on her chest.

She felt strong hands on her shoulders, squeezing it.

"Don't cry. He will be ok. He is strong," Danial whispered.

Sofea sniffled and took a deep breath to stop herself from crying. "It's so heart-breaking to see him like this."

"I know. But it's for the best. The doctors and nurses will take good care of him. Soon you can hold him."

Sofea sighed. "Two days of not seeing him already drives me crazy. What more for one month. One month! I'll lose my mind," Sofea complained.

Aida already informed her earlier that she need to be under confinement for thirty days after giving birth. Traditionally it was forty-four days, as mentioned by Hajah Saleha, but Aida said it's the first three weeks are the crucial period.

Danial chuckled. "Do you think I would do that to my wife? Don't worry. I will find ways to get you out of the house and see him."

Sofea laughed softly. "I'm looking forward to that!"

They spent the next few minutes watching their baby making funny faces. When it was time to leave, Sofea could not help but cried.

"I'm sorry. I'm just so sad and worry for him."

Danial kneel in front of the wheelchair and wiped her tears. "It's ok. Cry. It will make you feel better."

Sofea reached out to him and hugged him, crying softly into his shoulders.

----
Danial

After five long days in the hospital, Sofea was finally discharged. Actually she was given the green light to go home on the third day, but she insisted of staying just so she can see their son easily.

When they reached home, everyone was waiting for them. Aida immediately instructed Sofea to go up to her room and lay on the bed. However Sofea was having a hard time climbing the stairs up to her room. Halfway up the stairs, Danial decided that he cannot see her in more pain and carry her up to the second level.

"Finally!" Hajah Saleha teased as she too climbed the stairs slowly.

Danial chuckled while Sofea blushed furiously. Danial knew Sofea was uncomfortable to show affection in front of their family, but what can he do. She was in pain!

"I wished someone can carry me like that!" Hajah Saleha teased again, but this time it was directed to her husband.

Haji Samad raised his eyebrows at her in surprise. "Oh believe me. I would if I were still able to," he said as he rubbed his bulging stomach.

Everyone laughed at the elderly couple. Moments like this would only come once in a blue moon with Haji Samad who seldom makes jokes with them. Danial felt that it might be because they just want to brighten up the solemn atmosphere.

As soon as Sofea lied in bed, Aida gave Danial a pair of thick socks. "Here. Put these on for her. She needs to wear socks to prevent bad wind to enter her body."

Danial just nodded and complied. He sat at the foot of the bed and gingerly put the socks on for Sofea. When he was done, he looked up at Sofea. Her cheeks were so pink against her fair skin. He knew immediately, she was embarrassed again.

"Sofea, have you eaten?" Hajah Saleha asked. She was standing by the door with her husband. One of her hands were holding the walking cane while the other holding Haji Samad's arm.

"I had breakfast at the hospital just now. But that was like eight o'clock."

Danial looked at the time. It was already one in the afternoon. Suddenly his stomach grumbled.

"Looks like both of you are hungry," Aida said as she rubbed her arms with her palms. "I've cooked for you both. Let me warm it up and bring it here for Sofea."

"It's ok Mama. I'll just come down and eat," Sofea protested, but her words were hushed by Aida and Hajah Saleha.

"No can do. You just stay in bed. You can't move too much. I'll be right back," Aida stated, as she walked out of the room.

Hajah Saleha and Haji Samad decided to leave to rest before their Zuhur prayer. Danial closed the bedroom door and heaved a sigh of relief.

"That was intense. You are so lucky to have such a considerate family," Danial said as he sat beside Sofea.

Sofea rolled her eyes upward and said, blatantly, "You are so lucky that you're a man and you don't have to go through this confinement."

Danial reached for her hands and placed it near his lips, he whispered, "I'm so lucky to have such a pretty and patient wife. Insya-Allah one day, we can finally bring back our son. Then it will be me, you and him – our very own family."

He kissed her hands. Her eyes were filled with tears by then. He sat nearer, filling up the space between them and gave her a hug. 

------------------

A/N: When I had my son, he was born premature by a few days. He was placed in an incubator and it was the most heart-breaking thing to see. So Sofea actually is presenting me in a way. I'm kind of telling my birth story through her.

Well, I hope you like this chapter. Love it, vote this.