Chapter 14

Chapter 14

      I snuffled a little and tried hard not to let another tear fall on my leg and show the others that I was upset. I was really trying to hide my heartache but my heart was thumping harder and my breathing was very slowly gathering itself. I took a deep breath out and felt a hand on my shoulder; I looked up at Legolas and into his glossy eyes. It seemed he too was upset.

    “Let them fall Vina. We all feel the strain of leaving Lorien, you especially feel the worse, and you have left you brother to come on this quest with us. Tanya nae sai astald en’ lle,” he comforted me. Gimli nodded his head but gave Legolas a funny luck when he began speaking in elvish.  I giggled and at this a tear managed to escape my eye and join the other tear on my leg. I rubbed my eyes trying to see clearly but they were too liquidly. When I pulled my hands away, Gimli was holding out a handkerchief and I took it and dabbed my eyes. I quickly looked around to see if the others were looking but thankfully no one was. I blew my nose on the handkerchief and put it away in my top left chest pocket for a while. Gimli, to my own surprise, seemed sad to leave. {That was very brave of you}

      “I have the worse wound of this parting, for I look upon my last at that, which is fairest. Henceforth I will call nothing fair unless it be her gift to me,” Gimli sighed grievingly. I looked at him and away from the banks of the land. He was only part facing me but I could see his emotion. His was sad but the thought of his gift made him smile.

     “What was her gift?” Legolas asked from behind me. I nodded my head, I too wanted to know. I had seen what most of the fellowship had been gifted but not Gimli as I was too entranced in my bow.

     “I asked her for one hair off her golden head. And she gave me three,” he answered genuinely. I smiled and I turned a little to look at Legolas who was also smiling. He looked down at my bow and then into my eyes. I looked at his and laughed a little to myself. I bet Galadriel had given these to play tricks on us. I turned away and looked out in front of the moving boat. How long we will be traveling on the boats for, I had no idea. Not long I hoped, as traveling on water was not my favourite way of travelling.

      I sighed and pulled out my knife from my thigh holster and looked at the engravings on it, It read ‘Mellon en’ dagora’ meaning friend of battle. The thought of Lisendriel giving it me knowing full intention I would use it, especially with Saruman’s army’s growing in Isenguard and army’s growing in Mordor made me laugh. My head began to feel a little dizzy and I slotted the knife back into its place. I took my main water flask from my bag and took a swig of it and swilled it around my mouth. The bitter taste that was beginning to grow inside was now gone and I placed the bottle on my forehead to try and cool my head. It did work for a while but I removed it from my head and put it back in my bag safely.

       We had been travelling for quite a while and the sky was darkening and I had already begun to slowly drift away into my sleep every so often. I was awoken from my five minute slumber by Aragorn instructing Boromir and Legolas to steer into the shore to set up a night’s camp. I opened my eyes quickly and shook my head so blood could go to it. I coughed a few times as saliva had gotten stuck at the back of my throat and Gimli reached over and tapped me on the back. I thanked him and Legolas rowed into the banks and under a lovely blossom tree whose branches where curving down. It was beautiful as blossom fell on our hair. Gimli tried blowing it away and stood up in the boat. I stood up and Legolas set the oar inside the boat.