Chapter 36

Chapter 36

    “Where are they?” Pippin asked, his smile also fading from his face. Aragorn looked at us one last time before he pushed his horse and closer to the gates. We all followed behind him and I took deep, steady breathes. My back was burning more the closer we got and I could only think the witch king had made it so it would hurt when close to Sauron.

   Let the lord of the black land come forth! Let justice be done upon him!” He shouted up at the gate. I could feel my palms sweating and my body grow warmer. Everyone was staring intently at the gates, waiting for something to happen. The gates cracked open and put rode a horrid creature. It was another servant of Sauron. He had a horrid metal mask over his eyes and only his mouth was exposed. I felt the handle of my sword and wiggled my shoulders, feeling the bow strung across my back.

     “My master Sauron the great bids thee welcome,” he said in a grumble. He looked creepily like the Witch king and I wondered whether he was found in a dark tunnel like the Nazgul had come from. “Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me?” he asked like everything was fine. I know he was playing with us but my temper and emotions were already out of control and I just wanted to rip his head off with my hands.

    “We do not come to treat with Sauron, faithless and accursed. Tell your master this. The armies of Mordor must disband. He is to depart these lands, never to return,” Gandalf ordered boldly.

    “Aha! Old grey beard. I have a token I was bidden to show thee,” he said. He held up a white Mithril vest and it caught my breath straight away.

    “Frodo!” Pippin whimpered. Sauron’s slave threw the vest at Gandalf and he caught it. I followed the shirt and looked at Gandalf. His eyes went icy and cloudy. “Frodo,” Pippin repeated loader.

   “Silence,” Gandalf snapped to Pippin and Pippin became quite.

    “Frodo,” Merry exclaimed. Gandalf snapped at him too and he became quite. I felt my heart race fasten and I could feel the anger rising in my blood. Frodo couldn’t be dead.

    “The Halfling was dear to thee I see. Know that he suffered greatly at the hands of his host. Who would’ve thought one so small could endure so much pain. And he did, Gandalf, he did,” he told us. But I couldn’t believe it, I didn’t believe. I reached down my leg and took the knife from my holster. I held it in my hand and was beginning to bring it higher. I raised my head and went to lift the knife higher when Aragorn touched my hand, bringing it down again. I looked up at him, a little angry and confused and I saw in his eyes what he was going to do. He removed his hand from mine and took his reins. He rode his horse to the side of the slave’s horse and he looked sharply at Aragorn. I didn’t let go of the knife.

    “And who is this? Isildur’s heir? It takes more to make a king than a broken elvish blade,” he spat at Aragorn. But before the slave could do anything else, Aragorn whipped out his blade and took off his head. Everyone was really surprised but I wasn’t. I could see that he was going to do it and if he didn’t do it, I would of.