Chapter 15

Chapter 15

        The next day we were back on the boats, much to my displeasure, and I had swapped with Legolas for a while. I took the oar and was rowing the boat alongside Aragorn and not that far away from Boromir.

        There was quite a lot of tension between us all from last night. When me and Legolas got back to the camp, Aragorn and Boromir where talking and Boromir got a little boisterous and said some harsh and sharp words to Aragorn. For some reason though, I felt Boromir’s words as if they were small shards of glass cutting straight through me. I slept closer to Legolas last night and I saw that Frodo had listened to the whole thing. He never really slept anymore. The morning after though had got to be the most awkward of all and getting on the boat gave us all space.

      “The river seems quiet but there’s movement I can hear,” I spoke out loud. I looked down at Legolas who had taken what I said and was trying to listen to the air around us. His eye met mine and he nodded his head in agreement. He looked over to Aragorn but Aragorn was looking someplace else. I followed his gaze and saw two huge gracious statures of Gondorian kings of old. I paddled over closer to Aragorn’s boat and Boromir slowly floated over too.

       “The Argonath …” he whispered to Frodo but the beauty of statures had gathered all his attention. I couldn’t blame him though. My father had told me about these historic stone sculptures and he had promised me we would come and see them. I guess we never got around to it. “Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old…my kin…” he said, mesmerised by the beautiful view in front of us. I sighed quietly and began to row harder as did Aragorn and Boromir.

       “Why the sudden pace?” Legolas asked me, turning around on his bum so he was facing me. I leant against the back of the boat and looked ahead of me and not at Legolas. I had a feeling deep down inside that felt so dormant that I hadn’t touched it in a while. I shook my head not wanting to bring it up and smiled at Legolas.

      “There is a quickening in the water and I sense a high waterfall our way. I want to get to shore as soon as I can,” I replied. I used my senses as an excuse but Legolas wasn’t convinced. He went to speak but as the boat turned the corner, we could see no more river, only sky. Legolas looked up at me; his eyebrow raised and made me laugh and smile at my wonderful senses. Aragorn began to guide his boat over to the northern shore and me and Boromir did the same.

      I rowed the boat to the shore and it slid gently onto the muddy banks. The air seemed a lot tighter and there was something that made me feel uneasy. I brought the oar out of the boat with me and set it on the bank. Everyone was taking things off of the boats and piling them up in different areas.

      I swung my bag from around my shoulder and put it on the ground by the edge of a rock by Legolas’s things. I stretched my arms up in the air and behind my back to regain the feeling in them; the rowing was a really good workout for building arm muscle. I detached the holsters for my two swords and put them next to my bag.

      I looked over at Aragorn and he was scanning the lake and over at the waterfall. I looked around at everyone else. I had noticed Pippin going to collect some firewood because he had smiled and told me he was going but there were other people missing. I looked at Sam but he had passed out into sleep whilst leaning across a large boulder. Frodo was not with Sam. I looked around to see if he was anywhere near me but he wasn’t. And then I saw Boromir’s shield and supplies sat against a tree trunk.