Chapter 28

Chapter 28

     Night had fallen twice already and we were getting a lot closer. I could feel in Hasufel’s performance that he was getting tired as has breathing was heavier. I gave him a reassuring pat as we kept along. I allowed myself some sleep, only for a few hours each sunrise and then I was back to concentrating on getting to Gondor. Being a wizard helped Gandalf greatly as he needed no sleep yet, but Pippin however needed some.

    I could feel the dry dirt on my face from the journey and wished that we could stop so I could wash but there was no sign of stopping yet. When we got to Gondor, I would request a bath or a quick wash the first thing to do. We were getting closer as the smell of human was drawing closer. I had wondered if we were close to Osgiliath, for I had visited years ago when I was younger. Gandalf had announced that it we were on the borders of Gondor and it made me edge Hasufel on more. He did as told and we rode up a large grassy hill. Once at the top, we were looking over the plains of Gondor, the beautiful white stoned city.

    “Minas Tirith. City of Kings,” he told mainly Pippin. He looked over at me with a strange look that said I remember this place. But why should I have to remember this place. After all, I not destined to be king, but would only be a Lady of the city…if middle earth came to peace that was.

    I raised the hood of my cloak over my head as a women travelling with a wizard and Hobbit would only make matters worse. We headed through the gates and up the white cobbled streets until we reached the top tier of the city just before the lane up to the main hall. I dismounted Hasufel and gave her to the man.

    “He needs good rest, food and water. Make sure he is looked after,” I said sternly in a manner that didn’t sound feminine. I didn’t want to sound like myself as I wanted to keep to my own business. When he took Hasufel from me he nodded to all my words and took him down to the stables. I followed Gandalf and Pippin up and through the court yard. I glanced up a little and saw that the tree I had seen when touching the palantir was stood in front of me. A sight to behold, the tree was, yet I could see slight sadness shown from its stance. Pippin seemed to notice it too.

     “It’s the tree. Gandalf, Gandalf,” he said. Gandalf nodded back to him as Pippin jogged to catch up with mine and Gandalf’s strides.

    “Yes the white tree of Gondor. The tree of the king. Lord Denethor however, is not the king. He is a steward only, a caretaker of the throne,” Gandalf replied back to him. He nodded and we came to a door. I checked myself over, looking for anything that may give me away. I looked down at my chest and saw that my mother’s necklace was hanging out my jacket. I tucked it in quickly and buttoned up the jacket. I had one last look before I brought my cloak around my body.

    “Now listen carefully. Lord Denethor is Boromir’s father. To give him news of his beloved son’s death would be most unwise. And do not mention Frodo or the ring. And say nothing of Aragorn either. In fact, it’s best if you don’t speak at all Peregrin Took,” Gandalf told Pippin who nodded throughout. I myself was not looking forward to this greeting. Gandalf then turned to me. “Vina you will have to try and stay hidden in your hood, Denethor does not need to know who you are, you’re just a ranger from the West who I’ve asked to guide me,” Gandalf told me. I nodded my head and remembered what I was to say.