Chapter 1.

I pay the taxi driver and retrieve my luggage from the trunk of the cab. "Have a nice night, Mrs. American." He jokes, referring to my New York accent. I flash him a smile and wave before he drives away.

It was my first day here in Australia, well now that its seven in the evening, it might as well be night. The address was located right in the heart of the city in Sydney. Stores, clubs, the beach, everything was all within walking distance. Something I could really get used to. I look up at the big building in front of me and take a deep breath. The nerves starting to come into focus again.

I walk through the double doors and enter the lobby of the building, silently hoping there was an elevator since I was on the third floor. Luckily there was, so I shuffle in pulling my things behind me. I press the number three button and wait till the doors open again.

I make my way down the long dimly lit hallway until I find apartment 304B. I sigh, wondering if I made the right decision in moving across the world to a foreign country all by myself. Not that there was anything I could do about it now, I mean I was already here, but I think that fear of the unknown would always be in the back of my mind. I finally work up enough courage to knock on the door, both nervous and excited to meet my new roommate.

A pretty brunette girl about my age opens the door, greeting me with a huge smile. "Oh my gosh, you must be Kamryn." She squeals excitedly.

"I'm Gabby! Here, let me help you with that!" She takes one of the bags from me, which I was thankful for because my back was currently killing me from 23 hours on a plane.

"Thank you so much, and you can call me Kam." I smile at the chirpy girl, thanking god that she seemed nice so far. That was one of my biggest worries, getting here to find out my roommate was a psycho or something.

"Its so great to meet you!" She says as she leads me into our shared home. She had it decorated pretty nicely, the walls filled with pictures of everything from people to food to scenery. "I'm a photography major." She blushes when she notices me staring.

"If you don't like them, I could take them down, its no big deal..."

"No, I think they're gorgeous." I tell her honestly. It was true, she was really talented. These pictures were breathtaking.

"Thanks." She says smiling at the compliment.

"Here, let me show you to your room." She motions for me to follow her.

Gabby was very outgoing. I could tell that from knowing her less then 10 minutes. She talked away, telling me a little bit about herself as gave me a quick tour. She also gave me a key and then left me alone to unpack and get settled it.

So many emotions were running through my head, on top of being utterly exhausted. I don't even bother to change into pajamas, I just crash. Instantly falling asleep.

My eyes flutter open when I feel the warm sunshine come through my window waking me up. 12:45 was flashing on the alarm clock sitting on my end table. Holy shit. I slept forever. Jet lag is really no joke.

I sit up and rub my eyes before getting up to go to the bathroom. After showering and doing my hair I make my way out into the living room where I see Gabby sitting on the couch along with three guys.

"Kam, you're up!" She grins, clapping. "How'd you sleep? We weren't too loud were we?" She a concerned glance across her face.

"No, not at all." I tell her.

One of the guys, the tall blonde whose hands were intertwined with Gabby's coughs.

"Oh, sorry, this is my boyfriend, Luke!" She nuzzles her head into his chest.

"And these our his bandmates, Ashton and Michael!" She introduces the other two.

"Hi!" I give them a friendly smile.

"Hello!" They all three said in unison.

"American?" The one with blue hair, Michael asks.

"Yep." I laugh.

"Lucky, we can't wait till we can tour America." Luke, Gabby's boyfriend says.

"You mean if we ever tour America."

"Which we probably won't cause we suck." Ashton laughs.

"No, you guys are great!" Gabby defends them.

"Awh, you're just saying that cause you love me." Luke coos.

"Of course babe." She kisses his cheek.

"Ew get a room." Michael scrunches his nose in disgust.

"This is what you're gonna have to deal with, kam." Ashton giggles.

"Oh god." I laugh.

I was thankful that they were all very nice and welcoming. Maybe making friends wouldn't be so bad after all.

"Can I hear you guys sometime? I ask, now sitting down beside Gabby.

"You really want to?" Ashton's eyes light up.

"Of course." I grin, happy that we were all getting off to a good start.

The five of us emerse ourselves in small talk, getting to know one another and I can honestly say I was enjoying myself.

Everyone's head turns when we hear the door open, a tall, dark haired boy walks in casually.

"Nice of you to show up." Luke glares at him.

I'd be lying if I said he wasn't the most attractive guy I've ever seen. I didn't realize I was staring until Gabby nudges me.

"Kam, this is Calum." She says as he stands there, practically emotionless.

"Hi..." I mumble, the tension growing with every second.

"Calum this is Kam." Gabby tries to break the awkward silence.

He ignores her completely, moving his attention to the guys. "Ready to practice?" His voice low and deep.

They all get up and move to the doorway, leaving Gabby and I alone on the couch.

I shake my head wondering what the hell just happened.

Part of me was trying to make sense of it all, while the other part subconsciously knew I'd never be the same.

A/N: Hope you enjoyed the first chapter. Let me know your thoughts so far. Xoxo, San.