f i v e: Consequences

What the hell did I just do?

I couldn't believe that I lost control of myself again. I promised myself that I couldn't hurt someone again. My mind still felt hazy so I blinked multiple times to try and see better. After running for a while, my breaths were shallow and my heart was beating fast. I felt terrible now. I left punched Stephanie and escaped without anyone to help her.

That's not true. A crowd of people were gathering to help her against you.

Calm down Zoe. You could still fix this. You just have to go home and apologize. Simple as that.

I stood up abruptly but I left a wave of nausea overcame me so I sat back down. Blinking two more times, I looked at my surroundings. It was a random street. I didn't recognize the buildings or the street name.

I was lost.

I reached to grab my phone when I realized that I gave it to my dad. I tried to recall where I came from, but for the life of me, I couldn't remember a direction.

In anger over everything that happened, I kicked a trashcan. Garbage started spewing out but I didn't pick it up. Okay, what to do. Think, Zoe, think.

I can borrow a phone. From where though? I started walking through the streets, trying to find a suitable store to ask if I can their phone. It started to get dark so it must have been over five o'clock. After walking for five minutes, I saw a small internet cafe around the corner. My face lit up as I walked towards it. That would be the perfect place to ask to borrow a phone. Going inside, I sighed happily at the warm air contrasting the cold from outside. Observing the establishment, I saw some of the kids from my school lounging around playing different computer games on the available laptops. Actually all the laptops. Sitting in the front counter, Towel Boy was writing something down on a piece of paper. I nearly cried out of joy when I saw him. Finally, someone I recognized.

Writing something down he didn't notice who I was but he managed to say, "Welcome to Go Lucky internet cafe where we fix all your computer problems. How may we help you?"

I looked at his name tag and I saw that his name was Thomas. At least I got something from this whole experience. I didn't really know how to respond to that so I just coughed so he would look up.

"Oh hey. It's a surprise to see you here. Do you need something?"

"Um, yeah." I felt awkward about this whole experience so I scratched the back of my neck. "Could I borrow your phone for a second?"

"You don't have one?"

"No, I do. I just left it at home."

He looked at me suspiciously but he took out his phone anyway. I was about to reach for it when he took it back and said, "Tell me your name."

"Excuse me?"

"Tell me your name or I won't give you my phone."

I huffed in annoyance but I replied anyway, "After I call someone."

"How can I be sure you just won't leave?"

"I promise I'll tell you my name after I'm done. I like to keep my promises so you can trust me."

Reluctantly he gave me his phone and I called my father. He would be mad but I could count on him to pick me up.

No answer.

Instead, I called Stephanie, maybe she was home and got her phone back.

No answer.

Desperate, I called Monica. I knew she didn't like me but it didn't hurt to try.

No answer.

I was about to give up in defeat when I realized that I had one more person I could call. I didn't know if it was too soon since we just made up today but I had no other choice. I struggled to remember her number but after a minute or two I got it right.

"Hello?" Lucy said over the phone.

"I need a favor."

"What is it?"

"I need you to pick me up."

"Did you get lost? Where's the address?" I heard her shuffling out of the bed and moving.

I moved the phone away from my face and turned to Thomas.

"What's the address of this place?"

"192 N. Bowman St."

I repeated the address to Lucy and she said that she would be there as soon as possible. I gave the phone back to Thomas and said my name.

"My name is Zoey."

He smiled and said, "So I can finally stop calling you Watergirl. Thank god, that name reminded me of that character my little sister used to play with when she was little."

"Yeah, it seemed a little cheesy to be honest."

He chuckled at that and we talked for a little while before Lucy arrived. She was still in her school uniform which seemed a little odd but I didn't comment.

"Ready to go?" She said.

"Yeah." I responded and I said goodbye to Thomas before I left. Lucy then realized that there was someone next to me when she said, "Hey Thomas. Good to see you again."

"Oh, hey Luce. Right back at you."

I looked at them in confusion but I left anyway with Lucy behind me. I stepped in her car and she started to drive. I didn't even have to tell her where I lived, she already had it memorized.

"I didn't know you knew Thomas." I said casually. Then again, we haven't talked in two years so obviously things were going to change.

"I see him sometimes when he's at my house. He's one of Dylan's friends."

Right. Her brother. I didn't get along with him all that much because he liked to annoy me when we were younger but I could tolerate him. Silence soon filled the car but it wasn't awkward. It was the comfortable kind, where you didn't have to worry about saying something. When she finally reached my house, I said my goodbyes and thanks.

"It's no problem. That's what friends do." She smiled before driving off. I inhaled a deep breathe before entering my house. Prepared to get yelled at. When I entered my house, no one was home which was strange. I looked everywhere but every place was empty. I took the house phone and called my dad.

Unlike before he answered this time. "Zoe?"

"Yep, I'm at home. Where are you?"

"Looking for you. I'll be home soon. Stay there."

Like I would leave again today. He hung up and I was left alone again.

I sat on the couch and waited for the storm to come. It took a while until I finally heard the doorknob jiggling. My dad entered with Giselle, Monica, and Stephanie behind all of them. She carried a black eye and I winced at how hard my punch must have been.

Stephanie didn't say anything and just went up to her room and slammed the door. I guess I couldn't say anything today.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean for all that to happen." I said to my dad.

"Giselle go to bed." He said instead.

"But I want to hear what's going on."

"Go to bed." Monica said harshly."

Giselle whimpered and ran up the stairs. Poor brat, she didn't deserve to get yelled at.

"You don't have to apologize to me. I wasn't the one who was punched. It's already late. We'll talk about this tomorrow and decide on a course of action for both of you."

He sent me off to my room, and I walked up the stairs when I heard my dad talking. Most likely about me of course. Once I reached my room, I changed into my pajamas and went to bed. I only let one tear fall this time before I forced my eyes shut and let myself fall asleep.