t w e n t y: The Art of Faking Happiness.

In all my seventeen (almost eighteen) years of living, I could sum up my life in two words: roller coaster. Now, why would I possibly sum up my life this way you ask? Well because every single time I think my life is headed in the right direction someone decides that I should be miserable and throws something horrible in my way.

Case in fact: I just received a message from my stalker ex-boyfriend that he was coming back.

Just peachy.

Now I was desperately trying to find out how he could have found where I lived and that I possibly lived in Portland without driving myself insane because I didn't exactly have a good mental track record when it came to him. Especially how he was the source of almost all the problems in my life.

This was why I was spending my Saturday afternoon in the police station. Fun right?

It was approximately 5:04 PM when the police detective met with me.

"How may I help you, mam?

Take note that I was drenched because I forgot my umbrella and it started raining in the middle of my walk.

"I want to report a stalking offense."

"That's a pretty serious charge. You do have enough evidence?"

I took out my note from earlier and showed it to him. "My ex-boyfriend sent me this. The last time I saw him was two years ago a couple of days before I arrested. We haven't been in contact since then but it seemed like he found me again. I don't know how, but he sent me this message. Knowing him, this isn't going to be a one time thing."

His eyebrows rose immediately when I mentioned the word arrested to him but I ignored him. I knew I had to tell the truth, but I didn't want to ruin my chance of being taken seriously to be hindered because of this.

"Arrested?" Like I predicted, he only managed to grasp one word of what I said.

"Yes. Check my file if you want but right now I want to focus on the topic at hand."

He coughed and then asked me a question. Clearly he wanted to check the file, but he knew it was better if he didn't right now.

"Do you know his last name?"

I tried to say it but after trying to force it out of my mouth but to no avail, I wrote it down on a post-it.

Ryan Johanson.

Recognition immediately dawned on his face when he read the post-it. "We've been trying to find this guy for years. He was accused of a couple of crimes but he managed to get out of the radar. We haven't located him since. Look, as much as I want to help, we need to gather ore evidence to actually file a stalking charge against him. If it even is him. I suggest you save every message he sends, and record what time he sends them. When you have a sufficient around, them come back here."

Agitated I said, "You're kidding me right? This guy already has sexual assault charges against him, as well as breaking and entering and so many others that I won't mention. Do you really want me to wait, potentially endangering me and my family just so you can have sufficient evidence?"

"He probably won't harm you now. I do wish I could help but I'm stuck here. There's nothing I could do."

Probably. You clearly didn't know this bastard like I did. Knowing that I got nothing out of coming here I quickly left the station and went somewhere where I felt safe enough.

Considering that I walked to get here, I was only forced to travel to Lucy's house while it was pouring. I didn't mind though. As the water came down, they managed to wash away my worries along with it, at least for a little while. I felt calm in the rain because it perfectly managed to capture how I felt most of the time.