t h i r t y - s i x: Breaking Point

14 messages

22 missed calls

I continued to stare at my phone as the messages kept rolling in. At first, it started slowly, with the are you alright? messages coming in after fifteen minutes. Soon enough more frantic ones came in asking me where I was. I didn't blame them. I had a habit of running away when things get tough.

Eventually, I decided to shut off my phone. With no one to interrupt me, I lay down on the grass and closed my eyes. This was one of the only places I felt safe.

I tried so hard to protect my family, and I thought that not telling them would help. They didn't have to worry about my problems. But of course, that never works out.

Soon enough I heard small footsteps coming towards me. There were too soft to be Thomas' and he and I were the only people that knew about this place.

Wait, no. Someone else knew about this place.

His sister.

"I haven't seen you in a while."

I opened my eyes and saw Paige standing beside me. I haven't seen her in months when we both laid down here and saw the stars. We weren't close but she knew how fucked up I was. Maybe that made us close after all.

I didn't respond and instead closed my eyes again. She sat down beside me and I had a sense that she was looking at me.

"You haven't been here in awhile. Every time I come here, you're nowhere to be found."

When no response came from me she sighed and laid down near where I was.

"I've been wanting to talk to you."

Knowing that she wouldn't give up until I said something I opened my eyes and turned to her. "Well, why didn't you ask your brother for my phone number? He probably would've given it to you."

'That's the point." She said in exasperation. "I barely see him anymore. He's different. He always comes home late and when he's in the house he locks himself in his room. I haven't had a real conversation with him in weeks."

When she said that, my interest peaked. I didn't notice anything unusual about him. He actually seemed more outgoing now that I thought of it. I shrugged my shoulders and said, "He's eighteen Paige. He could be out as late as wants. I haven't noticed anything different about him."

"I miss my brother. I know him and he's being strange."

"He's always strange," I said in an attempt to shrug of her worries.

She rolled her eyes and pulled out a piece of paper from her dress pocket. I didn't even know dresses had pockets.

"I snuck into his room yesterday. Usually, he locks it when he leaves but he made the mistake of leaving it open. Everything was normal enough but I found this in his drawer."

I carefully took the paper from her end examined it. All that was on it was a phone number and nothing more.

"What's so bad about having a phone number in your drawer. Look, Paige, I think you're being paranoid. If you're really worried then have a talk with your brother when you see him. I think this is a big misunderstanding."

"I called the number and then a man responded. He asked me who I was and when I demanded to know his name, he hung up on me."

"Maybe he just doesn't like annoying fourteen-year-olds." I handed the paper back to her but she just forced it back to my hand. I don't have time for this. I have more important things to worry about.

"I'm serious. I didn't recognize the voice of any of Thomas' friends. Can you please call the number? If you recognize him, then I'll stop. I just want to make sure everything is okay."

I considered saying no and telling her that she needed to take a chill pill but then I realized she was just a worried sister. Like I was. Of course, our situations were different but I knew it didn't hurt to call. It would also take my mind off things.

I gave her an annoyed look while I turned on my phone and dialed the number. I felt guilty in a sense because I was invading his privacy but I promised myself that this was only as a favor to his sister and nothing more.

The line kept ringing and on the third one he finally responded.

"Hello?"

I couldn't contain my shock when I heard the voice. I recognized it but I couldn't tell from where.

"Hello?" He said more impatiently.

"Yes. Hi, who are you?" I knew this was a rather stupid question since I was the one who called him but I couldn't think of another question.

"Who are you? If you are the girl from before-" He started to threaten before I interrupted him.

"No. I don't know who you are talking about. This is Zoey Newman. Now could you answer my question?"

Paige looked at me in anticipation but I ignored her.

"Zoey Newman?" The man on the other line repeated.

"Yes. Now answer my question."

The person on the other line didn't say anything and instead hung up. In confusion, I looked at my phone. That was a weird response.

"Well, did you recognize his voice?"

I contemplated whether I should lie or tell the truth. Finally, I decided that ignorance is bliss.

"He's just one of our classmates from Physics." The lie ran smoothly from my mouth. "Your brother was probably stressed with the exams that we had a couple of weeks ago. Nothing major. You know how much of a nerd he is."

Paige visibly relaxed when I handed her the paper. Although I couldn't pinpoint who he was, I knew it was a good idea if Paige didn't investigate the matter further.

"Good. I was beginning to get really worried."

"I could tell. I have to go. I have some things to take care of now. Goodbye, Paige."

She cheerfully waved and said goodbye before I left her in the park. I didn't have time to think about the caller or who he was. I had more important things to take off and I couldn't run away. Not again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N- I didn't have time to do the double update last week but I was determined to do it this week. Anyway, I know this chapter is short but it still contains information or clues very important to the plot. I have the next two chapters planned out so maybe I could pull off another double next week. The book is close to the end, but I'm determined to put more Zoey and Thomas moments in there. See you next week.

Teaser: Zoey goes to the police station and demands to be listened too.