chapter one

Jimmy Darling was my older brother.I Had lived here in the freak show with him for most of my life.A few years ago my mothers life was cut short.
We are still trying to get over that since mother was our rock.She was all we had since our father was a deadbeat.Elsa wouldn't have let me stay if I wasn't a freak.But I am. I used to be ashamed of my deformity. But now I embrace my abnormality. Elsa surrounded me with people that weren't considered normal. These people are my family. I am known as "The amazing bird girl". I am also one of the main acts besides the conjoined twins Bette and Dott.I am envied by most of the acts here.I have been wanting to leave for years but I have no where to go.I left my tent and started walking down the driveway to the road to get some air.The rocks moved beneath my feet as the dirt made a crackling sound every step I took.I sat on the grass and began to take in deep breaths.I heard a car pulling up and looked up to see a beautiful white car stop at the driveway.The window rolled down and I saw a handsome boy with a white button up and a vest smiling at me.He said "What is such a beautiful young lady doing out here all alone?" I blushed at his words.I had never been called beautiful before."I live here" I said to the boy.He said confused "but this is a freak show darling you don't seem like a freak to me or are you?" He said that seductively making my cheeks flush even more red. I ignored that because it was obvious I was definitely a freak. I got the name "bird girl" because my features looked like that of a bird. I had no wings or beak. But my head was big on top and small on the bottom. My eyes were farther apart then that of a normal person, and I had a thin line of feathers going along my spine. I had to wear dresses that were open in the back so people could point and take pictures of me. Most people are kind but others are cruel and make us seem like monsters, as if we asked to be the way we were. I snapped out of my thoughts when the boy waved his hand across my face. "Come with me my darling" he said and opened the door to his beautiful car.I looked back at the place I used to call home and got into the car hopefully to never return again.