Chapter 14

I woke up in the middle of the night. I looked over at the small clock on the wall. It was 3:30 am. Dandy was still fast asleep, his head buried in my neck. My throat was so dry. I had to find a way to get up without waking him. I raised up a little and he began to stir. I clenched my teeth together and held my breath. He slowly removed himself from me, and rolled to the other side of the bed. I sighed in relief and slowly started walking towards the door. This was the part I was worried about. All of the doors were extremely heavy, and they weren't exactly quiet either. I opened the door slowly and fortunately he didn't move an inch. I walked down the hallway, and the stairs, and headed towards the kitchen. I made it there and got myself some water. The air in the room felt thick. I couldn't explain why but it wasn't welcoming. I quickly got out of there and began to walk up stairs. While he was asleep I decided to take a walk. I hadn't had much time to myself lately and almost no time to think. I walked out into the cool night air, letting the breeze flow through my hair. I quietly made my way down the rock driveway and towards the road. I didn't know exactly where I was going. I just let my feet take me wherever they felt like taking me. I walked for a while looking at the trees and the star filled sky. Soon I saw the familiar sign hanging down from a pole close to the street. I was walking towards the freak show. Strangely I saw no more signs telling me where I was going. I remembered helping Elsa hang the posters and signs leading up to the fair grounds. But there were no more. It felt sort of eerie. It was silent. I walked until I saw the path that leaded toward the tents. The freak show was different. The bright lights strung around the area were gone. The tents gently moved in the breeze. Instead of seeing my friends outside. I saw no one. The only tent lit up was the one in the center. It illuminated the dark area and made everything clear. I started to feel uneasy. I walked up to the tent and pulled the side of it so I could walk through. I lifted it over my head and stepped in. I felt as if the breath had been taken out of me, and my heart had been ripped through my chest. All of my friends, the only people who accepted and loved me. My best friends. My family. They all laid there dead. Their bodies piled on top of each other. I fell to my knees and screamed as loud as my lungs would let me. I began to violently sob. It was hard to breathe. I remember laying there for hours. I couldn't move. I didn't want to be here anymore. Everyone that I loved was now gone. Taken from me for no reason at all. I will find out who did this. And they are going to pay.