Chapter 5

*Val POV*
I threw the picture at the floor, smashing the glass shards across the room.
It had been of me and Skulduggery, our first completed case together.
Not anymore.
There was no more detective duo.
I let out a strangled noise, collapsing in the glass. It dug into my legs, and blood poured out, but I couldn't have cared.
Nothing mattered.
I stared at the picture, grabbing it with shaky hands. My thumb traced over his skull, Im-
"You okay?" Someone sighed, helping me up. I turned and threw my arms around Saracen, not caring if I got blood on him.
I wasn't going to tell him anything anyway.
"So your not going to tell me eh?" He grumbled, stroking my back. I started crying as he hugged me tighter.

" I can't tell you! Or anyone! It's.. It's personal!" I blurted out, hoping he'd drop it. He stared at me for a moment, and I thought he didn't believe me until : "okay.... I.... Hmmm..." He muttered, standing up. " I should get going okay? But call if you need anything. And get those cuts looked at. That's nasty" he chuckled, hugging me before waving and walking outside.
Part of me wanted him to keep pressing, to keep asking questions.
I knew he wouldn't, he respects my privacy to much.
I tried to stand up from the sofa, but my legs screamed when the cuts stretched. I hissed, but soldiered on. I'd had worse.
I passed the glass on the ground, making a mental note to sweep that up later.
Walking to the bathroom, I grabbed the dettol and cotton buds, before walking out. I didn't want to look in the mirror, seeing the coward I was being.
I'd spent all last night contemplating if i should tell Skul, and get his help. But thought better.
This was his secret, no one else's.
So I didn't say anything.
I say on the counter, applying the dettol to my wounds, and wiping the glass shards away.
Then the phone rang.
Without thinking, I picked it up, not checking who it was.
"Val? ... Or Steph... I know you don't want to be in this world anymore but... "Taniths voice strained through, then got more muffled as she talked to someone in the room with her. "It's Skulduggery. He got stopped at the airport for attacking an airport official, and we had to pick him up. He's in confinement, V... Steph. I just th-" I hung up, the name leaving acid in my mouth. I hated being called Stephanie, only Skulduggery knew that. My name was Valkyrie Cain. Not Stephanie Edgley. I was still in my family, just not with that name.
Tears streamed down my face, picturing Skuls angry and confused posture, as I ran out of that meeting.
"Why.... WHY DID HE DO THAT!!" I sobbed, hugging my knees to my chest. This wasn't going to be a good backlash for him.
It really wasn't.

*Skul POV*
"What were you thinking?!!!" Dexter snarled, slamming the van door shut. "Is this what you'd be doing if Valkyrie-" I flinched, pulling my knees up to my ribcage. I looked pathetic.
His eyes softened, as he looked to Anton who was driving Ghastly's van. "Look skul, I know... I know this hurts-" "You don't know anything!" I snapped, looking out the window. Anton sighed, but dropped it, as we began the silent drive toward the sanctuary harbouring to many good memories,but bad ones recently as well.
The dead men wanted answers off of me.
What could I say?
I don't even know why I attacked that guy!
I don't seem to know much these days.
Even why my partner left me.