Entry 3: Finding Solitude

It is guaranteed that you will have days where you feel as if you cannot escape people and cannot get your oh so precious alone time. Here is my method for coping with that feeling as if, and I quote, 'you are being barraged by a cacophony of empty, screaming souls.'

1) Get to the Barricades!!! (The library)

The library is a place for knowledge, books, and QUIET. There may be a lot of people in the first room (entrance, etc.) But do not lose hope! The farther you delve into the library, the farther away you inch from the rest of humanity until you can settle into the gentle cradle of stillness and alone.... and a book/laptop.

"But Author! It's still really busy in there, what am I to do!?"

2) Put head phones on 

(tip, you can put them on to avoid conversation, you don't have to play music if you don't want too.)

Be it in the library or wherever you are, headphones reinforce your make shift shelter of solitude.

(tip 2, my library provides free ear plugs, take a handful to help with noisy neighbors or trying to sleep (assuming your library is as awesome as mine! muhahaha) or just invest in some cheap ones if you wanna try using earplugs, your sleep is very valuable to your health; both mind and body)

3) Go for a walk

Go to the park or stroll around on campus, let that little introvert instinct lead you to a private bench in the corner somewhere. Try visiting less frequented areas and see if you can't find a private area to go to when nowhere else seems good.

"But aaaauuuthhorrrr! What if I don't have time to myself, college keeps you busy!"

4) Get your stuff done somewhere private!

Ok, I agree, it's different having alone time to do stuff you want to do and having alone time to get work done. Too bad so sad, we all have those days where we have to buckle down and get things done, there really isn't much to do but keep up with your work.

If you're having issues with getting free time, I recommend investing in a huge calendar or whiteboard. I write out when I've got a class or a meeting or a workout for the week and then I add when I need to do homework. If I stick to my schedule, I get free time to watch Netflix or read, or just take a pleasant stroll. 

It's ok to get stressed out. Changing your lifestyle, where you live, and with whom you live is a very stressful process, you're going to have some challenges. It's how you work through these difficulties that can help you handle this stress.

You may hate me for saying this, but exercise is an important part in helping you handle this stress.

Exercise will relieve your stress like nothing else can. Just taking a walk is fine. Move your body for at least a half hour a day and you'll reap the benefit of better sleep, a calmer mind, and a healthier body.

It also helps your brain when you keep your body healthy, and we all know that brains are pretty important to have in college.

How do you find solitude?

~Boldpastel