34. Voldemort's dead.... And so is Fred.

“NO!” the scream was terrible, no one had expected Professor McGonagall to be able to make such a noise.

The defenders all turned at the sound of Bellatrix’s cackle at McGonagall’s despair.

You could hear Ron, Hermione, and Ginny all screaming their dismay at Harry’s lifeless body. Their screams were worse than McGonagall’s.

“Silence!” roared Voldemort, there was a bang and a flash of bright light, and everything in the area had fallen silent. “It is over. Set him down, Hagrid, at my feet, where he belongs.”

The onlookers watched as Hagrid lowered Harry Potter’s body onto the grass in front of Voldemort.

“You see?” Voldemort’s voice was silky, but harsh, as he strode back and forth right beside the place Harry lay. “Harry Potter is dead! Do you understand now, deluded ones? He was nothing, ever, but a boy who relied on others to sacrifice themselves for him!”

“He beat you!” Ron yelled. Voldemort’s charm had broken. The other defenders of Hogwarts all yelled and screamed in their protest, until a second, more powerful bang extinguished their voices once more.

“He was killed while trying to sneak out of the castle grounds,” said Voldemort, this particular lie seemed to be gleeful to him, “killed while trying to save himself.”

You stepped forward, reaching for your wand. A hand pulled your own from your wand, and tugged you backwards. “Lies!” you screamed. Yet another bang rang through the air, and the crowd was silenced once more. You swore you could have caught a glimpse of white blonde out of the corner of your eye, but when you turned to look, it was gone.

Neville had stepped forward, his wand drawn, ready to fight Voldemort. He was quickly disarmed, and fell to the ground with a grunt of pain.

Voldemort threw Neville’s wand aside and laughed, “And who is this? Who continues to fight while the battle has already been lost?”

Bellatrix cackled loudly, “Neville Longbottom, my Lord! The boy who has been giving the Carrow’s so much trouble! The son of the Aurors… Remember?”

“Ah yes….” Voldemort turned to look at Neville once more, “But you are pure-blood, aren’t you, my dear boy?”

“So what if I am?” Neville glared, venom in his words.

“You show spirit, and bravery, and you come of noble stock. You will make a very valuable Death Eater. We need your kind, Neville Longbottom…”

“I’ll join you when hell freezes over!” Neville shouted, “Dumbledore’s army!” There were answering cheers from the crowd behind him, Voldemort’s silencing charm seemed unable to hold.

“Very well.” Voldemort stated, everyone could hear the danger in his voice. “If that’s your choice, Longbottom, we will revert to our original plan… On your head.” he said quietly, “be it.” with a wave of his wand the sorting hat appeared. “There will be no more sorting at Hogwarts school…. No more houses, the emblem, shield, and colours of my noble ancestor, Salazar Slytherin, will suffice for everyone. Won’t they, Neville Longbottom?”

He pointed his wand at Neville, who grew rigid and still, then forced the hat on Neville’s head, so it slipped below his eyes like the first time they were all sorted.

You, along with many other’s in the crowd stirred restlessly, unsure of what was going to happen to poor Neville.

As one, the Death Eaters rose their wands, holding the fighters of Hogwarts at bay.

“Neville here is now going to demonstrate what happens to anyone foolish enough to continue to oppose me,” said Voldemort, and with a swift flick of his wand, the Sorting Hat burst into flames.