(21) Present: 2024

(21) Present: 2024

I've pictured this moment a thousand different ways a million different times. All of those times, however, were just a fantasy and nothing more. I would lay in bed and just pretend, for just one moment, Xavier was next to me. It hurt every single time I had done it, but the pain was a reminder he was once mine. None of my thoughts or memories were close to the real thing.

Xavier was heavier than I remembered, for some reason, and a lot more into cuddling than I thought. He was currently lying on top of me, all of his weight, with one arm underneath my lower back and wrapped around my body and underneath my shoulders with his hand gripping my right upper arm. His cheek rested against my bare shoulder while his nose pressed against my neck. It was a position I was used to long ago. Yes, Xavier's soulless side rested in a similar position, but it definitely wasn't this close. Our legs were even tied together in an unbreakable knot.

I woke up well before he had, mostly because he has still been in recovery. When I woke up after being awake and physical for five days and nights, I almost thought it was all this dream. It clearly wasn't considering I could barely move when I woke up. Man, Xavier is heavy.

"Mmm." Xavier's voice was rough and drowsy.

"Hey," I murmured, running my fingers down his spine. "You need to drink. You haven't had much."

His arms tightened around me and he buried his face deeper into my neck. "I don't want to get up."

I ran my fingers across his face and began to wiggle away from him. "You need to drink. You can only function so long without blood."

It took a lot of strength to pry Xavier's limbs from mine, but I managed it. Clearly he was weak considering I was able to beat him. He rolled onto his back when I slid off the bed and grabbed a robe to pull on. Xavier watched me with the strangest expression on his face.

"What?" I asked, tightening the robe.

"There were many things I missed while was in there. One of which is how you practically scurry to pull on some clothes when you get out of bed." His lips formed into a smirk.

My lips pulled up at the side. Xavier has always been the most observational person I've ever encountered. He'd notice things about me I never knew I did. "I'm going to go warm you up some blood before hoping in the shower." I stepped forward and pressed my lips to his forehead before leaving the room.

It didn't occur to me until I was watching the white mug spin around in the microwave how much things have changed. Over a decade ago it was me lying in bed while Xavier made sure I drank enough. Years ago I thought it was him being controlling and pushy, but that's not how I saw it now; he genuinely worried about me, just as I was currently worrying about him.

I came back into the room and placed the mug in his hands and my lips to his forehead once more. "Drink it all, please," I commanded gently and kissed his shoulder before walking towards the bathroom.

"You used to hate it when I told you to drink." His tone was light just like his smile.

"You never said please."

I disappeared into the bathroom, leaving him in bed. It was nice to be alone for a few minutes just to gather my thoughts. I needed to think of what our next step is to be after all of this. There is so much to do. I knew I needed to get Xavier ran through the system and marked. Otherwise, if found unidentified, he would either be accused of hiding from the law or I'd be accused of creating a vampire, which is forbidden as of right now. Either of those would result in his death, or mine if they believe I turned him. I also needed to speak with Joanna about our apartment. Although I loved the place, I knew I'd have to give it up to Joanna because I couldn't kick out my best friend.