(18) Present: 2024

(18) Present: 2024

I don’t think it’s possible to be held any tighter. I swear Xavier has bruised one of my ribs. Then again, I haven’t been exactly gentle when it came to holding onto him. We walked, his arm around me and both of my arms around him, with me jabbering on and on about what has happened in the past twelve years. There was so much to say, and I often would go silent when I realized who I was talking to. He listened, added his typical comments, and must have kissed my head enough to cause a bald spot. I loved it.

“My dog is named Leon. Super adorable, but Joanna hates how attached I am to him.”

“I don’t understand why you’re living in New York. That place is has one of the worst crime rates…”

I sighed. “I like the city life. I think I’ve always liked New York. But there was a recent issue with some hunters…”

Xavier stopped and looked down at me. “Hunters?”

I gave a nod. “Ever since we lost the war, people have been hunting us. We had a run in and…” I trailed off when Xavier’s eyes darkened. “I’m fine.”

He swallowed hard and continued walking, his expression a mask I’ve known well over the decades.

“What?” I demanded lightly, gripping onto his torso as we walked faster.

He shook his head and let out a groan. “I should have been there!” he growled, his voice almost desperate. “I’m going rip Liam’s arms right off and…”

I shuddered. I haven’t even told him the worst part of the past twelve years. How was I to tell him I slept with his biggest enemy? It’d destroy him. Yet, deep down, I knew I couldn’t keep it from him. Xavier always has a way of finding things out, which is a little disturbing. Now wasn’t the time, though. “It’s not your fault, Xavier…” I could feel tears stinging in my eyes. “It’s my fault. You wouldn’t be here if I hadn’t of left you and if I had known—“

“You left me because I told you to,” he cut me off, stopping us both. “For once in your life, you listened to me. And though things didn’t turn out as planned, I would still tell you to run if it means keeping you safe.”

My lips were parted to say something, but nothing came out.

His fierce expression softened and he pulled me impossibly closer. “Let’s get out of here. We’re about to enter the most dangerous section, so stay close and listen to me when I tell you something.” His lips pressed to my forehead and stayed there for what felt to be hours. “Stay as close as you can possibly get.”

I nodded and wrapped my arms tighter around him. “When we get out of here, I’m sewing us together.”

The dangerous part of hell wasn’t nearly as bad as it apparently usually is. Then again, Xavier had us stay silent as we snuck through the section. I knew we were nearing the entrance because the darkness I felt inside was fading from me, and Xavier’s mood lightened. Occasionally, however, he would mutter something to himself, which worried me. A brief moment of insanity unlike the kind he used to have.

“We’re in the clear,” he announced.

I pulled away slightly to look around us, only to have him pull me back. “I hope we’re not too late.”

“How does it work?”

“Shana just said for us to get to the gates. She’ll bring us back from there. But she said the longest we can take is a week and I have no idea how long I’ve been in here.”