(25) Present: 2024

(25) Present: 2024

I wasn't sure what awaited me when I got to the main house. I half-expected a SWAT team to be standing in the foyer with Liam in their grasp. But when I actually got to the foyer, instead I found nothing. Nothing as in no blood, no broken pieces of furniture, and no evidence of the earlier brawl. It all looked entirely normal, other than the missing desk in the corner. I listened for anyone's voice, particularly Liam's, but only heard faint murmuring coming from upstairs.

The library.

It was the spot everyone seemed to gravitate towards. I only hoped Joanna would be in there so I could pull her aside to talk. As I got closer I realized I never heard Liam's voice, but instead heard Matthew's and Joanna's, and they did not sound pleasant.

I've never really been one for juicy gossip, especially when it came to friends, but I couldn't help but listen to their conversation. It was almost a relief to have the spotlight taken off myself and Xavier for once. Admittedly, I felt rather guilty for listening in on my best friend's personal conversation with her husband.

"...stop, okay? Just stop it," Joanna's voice cut through the door, showing how frustrated she was right now. I stepped back from the door.

"Stop what? I was talking about something serious, and you continue to plug your ears and turn away," Matthew snapped back, though his tone was much softer than Joanna's.

There was an angry grunt, probably from Joanna, and then I could hear her brush against the door. "I don't want to talk about this anymore. Just drop it. I'm heading back to my room."

I stepped further from the door when I heard Joanna's hand touch the doorknob.

Matthew's voice must have stopped her. "When will you ever want to talk about it? I've only been waiting, what, twelve or thirteen years?"

"I've told you before, I can't." Joanna's hand released the knob and I could hear her lean up against the door once more.

There was a light squeak of the flooring and a few louder steps definitely coming from a man. "Will you never forgive me? Am I going to spend my existence trying to earn your trust back?"

Joanna let out a groan and shoved loudly away from the door. "For the things you've done, I don't think they can ever be forgiven. Where should I start? Should I remind you of what I found out after being married to you a year? Should we start there? It was pretty damn unforgivable!"

I flinched at her voice and took another step back.

"Anna..." Matthew's voice was almost pleading now. "I've apologized literally a thousand times now. Do you not remember what you had done to me shortly after? You left quite a destructive path behind you when you ran away."

"I ran away because you broke my heart!"

Silence fell between them, and I was definitely regretting listening in on their personal conversation. I almost considered turning around and heading back, but the possibility of them hearing my footsteps made my legs lock in place.

"I don't know what's worse," Matthew began so quietly I could barely understand him. "Being apart from you for a longtime or having and losing you every few months."

"...Are you saying we should fully break it off? Do you not want me around at all anymore?" Joanna's voice was almost shaking as she spoke.

Matthew took several steps closer to the door before stopping. "If I said it, I would never truly mean it. As much as it kills me to have you come one night and disappear the next, I don't think I'd do too well without you. It just kills me, and it kills me you don't feel the same pain I've been feeling."