(3) Present: 2024

Present: 2024

I zipped up the back of my little black dress, or as most people would call it, my uniform. The dress wasn’t provocative, though it was a little tight on me. I blame my hips and thighs. It was just a simple black dress with wide straps and a square neckline. The bottom of the dress went right to my knees, fitting snuggly all the way down. Joanna’s dress was much smaller than mine, yet it still had slightly baggy places near the waist.

Before leaving in my black flats, I pinned the plastic white tag saying Lucy onto my chest and grabbed my set of keys. Our apartment didn’t have the fancy locks most do, with the fingerprint scanners or touch screens. Maybe I’m old fashioned, but I refused to have any sort of that type of technology. It’s just too confusing for my mind. Instead our place had six or so locks, which we only locked four for safety reasons. Yes, a vampire worried for her safety. I made sure to check the locks twice before pulling my baggy leather jacket close to my body. The jacket has been with me for decades, in a way. I wore it back in the eighties, only it wasn’t mine at the time. It was his.

As I walked I checked the streets for any suspicious-looking people who might leap out and stake me. The streets of New York were especially dangerous because the War of the Dead took place not too far from here. I managed to light a cigarette while rounding the corner towards the restaurant. Smoking has been a more recent habit. I think I started it right after the war, though my years seemed to blur together. I always made sure the smoke blew away from the leather jacket to avoid stinking it up. I just finished it when I made it to the place I worked.

Why was a vampire working at a restaurant?

I’ve got bills to pay. And since I can’t steal things or crouch somewhere anymore, as I used to, I now have to slave away. I can thank the war for that one. What really got me was the fact Joanna worked. Here she could have a billion dollars in her account, yet she refused it. Matthew would gladly give her several thousand for anything she needed, but her pride and currently anger towards him made her refuse any help from him. Instead she pulls night shifts at this fancy restaurant with me, nearly being fired several times for her attitude.

“There you are!” Mike hollered from across the room, causing several heads to snap in my direction.

I tried not to appear depressed in any way and instead forced a sheepish smile. “Sorry I’m late.”

Mike approached me with his bushy black grows scrunched up in frustration. “Joanna gave me some bullshit about you going through your ‘monthly time’ right now. But you’re a vampire, so that’s impossible,” he grumbled, trying to keep his voice down in order to not draw attention to us.

Mike was about as grumpy as they come. I don’t know what stick he has shoved up his butt, but apparently it’s always there. If it weren’t for the law about vampires harming humans, I would have taken him down months ago. It’s his fault for running a restaurant during the night, the time where vampires roamed the streets and even become customers.

He tied his dark hair back into a ponytail and narrowed his hazel eyes at me. “Next time tell me your excuse yourself.” He jabbed his finger at me, revealing chewed nails and rough cuticles.

I watched as he marched away. If it weren’t for his attitude or personality, I might have found Mike attractive. He definitely had this sort of dangerous-feel about him, as well as nice upper arms from all of the carrying he does. It still puzzled me how he had the name Mike when he looked Italian.