(4) Past: 1999-2000

Past: 1999-2000

                                                           New York City

I slumped against the far wall, my head leaned back, pressing into the black wall. The music was loud enough for me to cringe, practically rumbling my insides and bursting my already sensitive ears. My eyes roamed over the crowd, taking in each weirdo dressed in some crazy outfit with either a blue Mohawk or some belly shirt. Part of me envied these people, the way they danced wildly with freedom shining in their eyes. I glanced down at my outfit, which consisted of a pair loose, faded jeans and a yellow pastel top with Xavier’s baggy leather jacket draped over my shoulders. My hair wasn’t wild like the rest, but instead in messy red curls and in nearly the same style as it was when I was human, just a little longer. None of my outfit was me. Well, I don’t think it was. I’ve never had the opportunity to test my fashion style.

The wet lips at my neck informed me Xavier was back from getting us our drinks. A glass of red wine was held in front of me and I immediately took it. When his hand was free he wrapped his arm around my body and pulled my back into his chest. He held a glass of whisky in one hand and kissed down my neck, his dark hair brushing my skin. I closed my eyes, enjoying the feeling just for a few minutes. It was moments like these I treasured, not because they were simply sweet. We weren’t fighting, and he wasn’t ordering me around. We were just enjoying this moment. At least, for a few minutes.

A man stumbled by and knocked my glass clear out of my hand, causing the red wine to splash my jeans and stain them a deep red.

“I am so sorry!” the man slurred as he bent down to pick up the broken pieces of the glass.

Xavier growled, his dark eyes boring into the small guy’s face. “Watch where you’re going,” he snapped at him, pulling me impossibly closer to him.

The man’s round blue eyes widened in fear. “Listen, man. I’m incredibly sorry. It’s crowded in here.”

I felt Xavier stiffen behind me, not pleased with the guy’s tone of voice. I reached behind me and gripped his hand, intertwining my fingers with his. “It’s fine,” I stated awkwardly as I made sure to keep Xavier behind me.

The man sighed and quickly made his way out of the crowd.

“What were you doing?” Xavier grasped my shoulders after slamming his glass down on the table next to us.

When he spun me around to face him I took in his frustrated expression. “I just didn’t want any trouble caused. It’s fine. These aren’t even my pants.”

He scowled, his sharp facial features making him look all the more intimidating. “I had it handled. He needed to be taught some manners.”

Without realizing it, I let out a huff and rolled my eyes. That was Xavier’s biggest pet peeve, especially if I did it. He called it being a brat and said it showed immaturity and disrespect. “I need to get the stain out of my pants. Where’s the bathroom?” I asked, hoping it’d changed the subject.

Xavier’s jaw was tightened in irritation. “Back there, towards the right.” He pointed a pale, slim finger towards the bar. “I’ll help you.”

The last thing I wanted was to have Xavier hover behind me in the women’s bathroom. “It’s fine.” The words I use so often nowadays came out automatically. “I’ll just be a few minutes. We only have half an hour before New Year’s day, anyway.” I placed my hand gently on his cheek in hopes he’d calm down.