(6) Past: 2013

Past: 2013 

I zipped my suitcase up as smoothly as I could before triple checking my ticket. After examining the room once more, I decided I had everything I needed. It was a long walk from the bedroom to the library where they were all waiting for me. My emotions were scattered tonight after having been here for the past several months as I’ve recovered physically and emotionally, all thanks to Joanna. Although I wasn’t the most welcomed guest in the Foster house, I was certainly grateful for them letting me stay here until I got back on my feet.  

“It seems you’re all packed and ready,” Liam said when I entered the room.  

All eyes were on me. I spotted Matthew and Joanna sitting on the loveseat. My eyes flashed to Nicholas and Liam by the fireplace. “I’m ready.” I looked at Nicholas with my brows pushed together in worry. “You honestly don’t have to come with me. I know you barely know me…”  

Nicholas gave me a thoughtful smile, his chocolate brown eyes revealing kindness he always seemed to have. “I truly do not mind, Lucy. It’s not every night I get to go to Dallas, Texas.”  

I smiled back at him in relief. Honestly, I didn’t want to go alone. Joanna couldn’t go with me, though she wanted to. Matthew told her no because he wanted to work on their relationship. Secretly, I think he’s just worried she might do something wild, probably with another guy. He would have done the same thing, I thought as I pictured my creator’s reaction if I told him I was going to Dallas alone. “Thanks,” I murmured back to Nicholas.  

Technically I’ve only known Nicholas a few weeks, at most. We didn’t talk much in that amount of time, but when we did, it was actually nice. He’s probably the kindest vampire I’ve ever encountered. Much like Matthew, Nicholas preferred to dress in a fine suit and keep his appearance formal and respectable. Unlike the vampires I’ve seen, Nicholas’ hair was greyish brown, indicating he was turned later than most vampires. Maybe that’s why he was so put together and kind? He was mentally more mature than those who were turned just as they were heading into adulthood. Such as me.  

“Roger will drive you two to the airport. Your flight will land three hours before daylight, so I suggest heading to a hotel immediately after leaving the airport,” Matthew said as he stood up.  

“You found the address, right? To the storage building, I mean?” I asked nervously.  

Matthew, of all people, would know where people kept their things. After all, he’s got records on every vampire out there. “Of course. I already texted you the address. The manager said he’d let you in. I had to persuade him…”  

With money, no doubt, I thought as I eyed his gold watch. “Thank you.”  

Joanna stood up and crossed her arms over her chest. “Are you planning on coming back?”  

I pursed my lips. I actually had been thinking about what to do for a while now. Part of me wanted to just move right back in with them because this place was safe. Yet, deep down, I knew I needed to stop wanting protection. It was one of the reasons why I couldn’t go alone. I just needed someone to watch over me and keep me safe. It’s what he did. “I’m not sure yet. I was actually thinking about moving somewhere…different.” Anywhere where the memories would stop tearing away at me.  

“Like Europe?” she suggested.  

“I’m taking you to Venice.” My creator’s voice echoed through my head, reminding me of when he had sworn to take me somewhere new for us to start new. “We’re going. And then we’re going to Paris. I’ve always wanted to go there.” The promise meant nothing now. It was just a painful echo, leaving me hollow. “No. I’m not going to Europe,” I told Joanna in a strained tone.