(2) Past: 2012

Past: 2012

I could hear them again, talking in whispers just outside of the bedroom door. Didn’t they know I could hear them? Don’t they remember I’m a vampire and therefore could hear even the tiniest breath in another room? To make matters worse, they were talking about me.

“When was the last time she said anything?” Joanna asked.

There was a paused, followed by a sigh. “Not since the house,” Liam replied.

I was completely still in the bed and hadn’t moved an inch for possibly hours, days, or weeks. I’m not sure how long I had been there. Time seemed to blur together. I couldn’t sleep, not even during the daytime when the sun was at its highest. I’d just lie there with my eyes on a painting of a castle across the room. My thoughts were senseless most of the time. I preferred the senseless, though. It was so much worse when they became clear.

“Has she had anything to drink?” Joanna’s questions continued.

“Nothing. I tried to get her to drink after, but she wouldn’t open her mouth.”

“How long can a vampire go without blood?”

“Technically, forever. They’ll just mummify. It takes two weeks before that starts to happen.”

Another pause. “Have you made sure she isn’t turning into a mummy now?”

“She won’t turn into a mummy, Anna,” Matthew said in a teasing sort of way. “But I agree she should drink. Her burn wounds are worsening.”

My eyes didn’t leave the painting, even when the door opened. I continued to stare at the grey stone of the castle, not thinking anything about it. The bed pressed down near my feet, but I didn’t look over at the person. I heard several steps around the bed, which I immediately knew were Matthew’s and Liam’s because of the way their expensive shoes clacked.

“Lucy? You need to drink,” Joanna said in a soothing voice.

My body didn’t move, not a twitch. I didn’t move when something touched my shoulder or when Joanna’s oval-shaped face was in front of mine. She peered at me with her narrow dark eyes, her lips pursed into a line. I blinked for the first time in what seemed to be hours. My eyes were so dry that I had to blink repeatedly to moisten them again.

“Lucy, I brought you a blood bag. I even warmed it up some.” She held it out in front of my nose.

My fangs didn’t extend, a rarity for vampires so close to blood.

“See? I don’t think she’s in there anymore,” Liam told her.

“Shut up, Liam. Don’t you have evil plans to jot down? Better go write them down now before you forget.” Joanna waved him off.

Footsteps faded from the room, but I knew Joanna wasn’t my only visitor. Matthew stood behind Joanna with his eyes on me. I didn’t know why he was here. Didn’t he try to have me killed years ago? But I realized maybe Matthew wasn’t here for me. Maybe he was here for Joanna? He looked as if he were ready to pounce in case I did anything dangerous. It wasn’t too crazy considering I doubt I’ve had blood in days.

“If you don’t open your mouth and drink, I’m going to pry your mouth open and force it down,” Joanna warned me with intensity in her eyes.

My thoughts were becoming clearer the longer I stared at her. I didn’t want them to come. I just want to lay here forever. Literally, I want to be here forever. It didn’t matter I was staying in the house of the man who tried to kill me, or I still smelled of smoke and death. Nothing matters. Not anymore.