Chapter 1: All Aboard the Hogwarts Express (Marceline's POV)

Author's note 10/16/2020:
i wrote this when i was a really awkward 13 year old, i only keep it up because it still gets tons of reads lol
please forgive the cringe and questionable content

Chapter 1: All Aboard the Hogwarts Express

            “Marceline!”

            I mumbled incoherently and rolled over in bed, pulling a pillow over my head. I could hear mum's heavy footsteps on the badly worn wooden stairs.      

            “Marceline, you’ll miss the train!”

            I sat bolt upright, remembering that it was the first day of my fifth year at Hogwarts. I sighed and swung my feet over the side of the bed, dragging myself out from under the covers. If I didn't get up, she would wake dad up, and I didn't want to deal with him this early in the morning.

            “You have an hour!” mum called.

            I crossed my room to the bathroom and pulled the shower curtain back, turning the water on, praising Merlin that there was hot water. I got out, dried my hair, did my makeup, and got dressed.

“Come on, Marceline. The train is going to leave without you! Do you want me to wake your father up?"

I threw everything into my trunk and tucked my wand into my skirt. I was about to start dragging my trunk downstairs when I heard the master bedroom door burst open and hit the washing machine clumsily placed in the hall. I knew what that sound meant...

“Marceline!”

My heart suddenly jumped to my throat. I was hoping, praying, to avoid seeing him before I left.

“Yes, dad?” I called back quickly, slamming my trunk shut. The less of my school things he saw, the better.

My door flew open and hit the wall. The doorknob broke, again. He stormed in, looking around.

“Going back to that freak school now, are you?” he asked.

“I'm going back to Hogwarts, yes,” I answered meekly.

He scowled at me.

“What do you need?” I asked.

“I don’t understand why your mother keeps letting you go there.”

“I have to learn to master my powers,” I said. “I need to know how to be a witch.”

He scoffed. “You're learning to be a freak, that’s what you're learning. A freak and a whore. What kind of boarding school has boys and girls in the same dorms. A sex cult is what you've joined, not a damn school."

“I have to leave for King’s Cross,” I mumbled, trying to leave my room with my trunk. My father grabbed me by the upper arm as I tried to walk out the door.

“Dad, let go. I have to leave.”

He backhanded me across the face. I didn’t even react. I was too used to it by now.

“Don’t tell me what to do!” he yelled.

“Can I go?” I asked.

He let go of me and shoved me towards the stairs.

“I need my trunk,” I said.

“So get it!” he yelled at me.

“Well if you hadn’t shoved me past it…” I mumbled.

“Oh, so you’re blaming me now? Why don’t you use your powers to get it?”

“You know I can't use magic outside of school.”