Chapter 20: Death Do Us Part (Snape's POV)

Chapter 20: Death Do Us Part (Snape’s POV)

The Battle of Hogwarts had begun. It was the middle of the fighting. I began back towards the hallway where I had just come from. I had escaped the castle after being attacked by McGonagall, but I had to come back to retrieve Marceline.

Marceline was standing in the middle of a small outdoor courtyard, looking up at the sky. I grabbed her and we began running.

“Where are we going?” she asked.

“We’re just hiding for now. I don’t know where we’re going yet.”

We had only taken a few steps within the castle when I heard an explosive noise. Pieces of the protective shield that the other teachers had put up around the castle began falling in. We took a few more steps before an even more explosive noise erupted. I looked up to see the shield disappearing. Suddenly the wall behind us exploded. Marceline threw a shield up to protect us from flying debris, and then we broke into a sprint down the hallway.

Another portion of the wall exploded in front of us. We ran along another hallway and up another staircase, with walls exploding and shrapnel flying everywhere. I finally got us to the point where we could Apparate from.

A moment later, we were standing in the forbidden forest. Marceline looked around, took in our surroundings, and then threw herself at me and kissed me. She probably would have continued if Lucius Malfoy didn’t interrupt us.

“The Dark Lord sent me to find you.”

“Alright. Thank you, Lucius.”

We made our way to the boathouse down the hill from the Great Hall.

“Be quiet,” I said to her before we entered the boathouse.

“Alright. What does he want?”

“I don’t know.”

We entered the boathouse. Voldemort was pacing, waiting for me. He seemed agitated. I was afraid as to why he had sent for me.

“My Lord, Lucius said you sent for me.”

Voldemort turned to face us, the Elder Wand in his hands.

“I have a problem, Severus.”

“My Lord?”

Voldemort raised his wand and held it delicately out in front of him.

“My problem, Severus, is that my wand will not work for me.”

There was a long silence in which I was panicking, and Marceline stared at me. He knew. He knew he didn’t control it. He was going to kill me, despite the fact that I didn’t have control of it.

“My—my Lord?” I said, pretending to not know what he was talking about. “I do not understand. You have performed extraordinary magic with that wand. Why do you say it does not work?”

“I have performed my usual magic, nothing extraordinary. Of course, I am extraordinary, but this wand… no. It has not revealed any special power for me, none of the wonders it promised. There is no difference between this wand and my original wand purchased at Ollivander’s years ago.”

From my peripheral vision I could see as Marceline glanced around. The room wasn’t anything special, just a solemn little boathouse. But as she looked at one of the glass windowed walls, I could see the same thing that caught her eye; she could see three figures moving on the other side. I panicked for a moment, but realized that she was the only one who could see them from her angle.

“I believe you may know why I called you in from the battle.”

“No my Lord. I beg you let me return to said battle. Please let me return, and find Potter for you.”