Chapter 2: Spinner's End (Snape's POV)

Chapter 2: Spinner’s End (Snape’s POV)

            Another year at Hogwarts was about to begin. I lounged in my office at home, reading the Daily Prophet, and glancing at the clock. Right at this very moment, the children were on their way back to school. My belongings were all packed, just waiting for me to Apparate to Hogwarts with them. I was putting it off until the very last moment. Besides the fact that I greatly disliked children, I had been rejected for the place of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, again…

My fists clenched with involuntary anger upon remembering that I was just to be Potions Master, yet again, for what seemed like the hundredth year in a row. The monotony of it all was distressing to say the least.

The house was quiet. Far too quiet. My sleep last night had been disrupted for at least the twentieth time by a noisy Muggle party. I could never get a Silencing Spell to work properly. Spells are not now nor were they ever my strong point. I ended up settling for a Dreaming Draught instead.

I’m still thoroughly sleep-deprived though. It’s times like these I am thankful for the silence of my house. My comfortable chair, the Daily Prophet, and a nice cup of tea are all I need. Although it does get a bit lonely sometimes…

So many times Dumbledore has suggested I get a cat. A cat! Me, Severus Snape, having to care for a cat? Is he insane?

            Then again, many were now saying Dumbledore was insane. Word was that this year’s Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher would be a Ministry-sent spy looking to usurp Dumbledore’s position of Headmaster. I had already been told not to meddle with the process. It’s funny how Dumbledore has a way of knowing what is running through my mind, even when I am a skilled enough Occlumens to deceive the Dark Lord himself. But then again, Dumbledore does know everything about me.

It does get quite annoying sometimes, having him know everything. He is quite good at guild tripping me. Maybe he is right when he says I should get a cat…

Then there is Voldemort, who thinks I should get a woman. I think the idea is even more insane than me getting a cat. Firstly, what woman in the world would want me? And besides that, there are no women in the world that I would want. The woman I love died fifteen years ago. I wasn’t looking for any sort of relationship.

But people nag and badger, trying to convince me of how happy I would be with companionship. Cats, women… none sound appealing. Besides, I get to be surrounded by ‘companionship’ for nine month out of the year—the students and staff of Hogwarts. I get to deal with over a dozen other teachers, hundreds of students, and various creatures every year at school. That is all the company I ever need. I cherish my quiet summers.

But as I began with, my summer was nearly over. In less than an hour, I would be Apparating back to be surrounded by children again. Oh joy.

I put my newspaper into the stack next to my desk and stood up. I had to begin preparing the house for my departure. I put locking charms on all the windows, clear any food out of the cabinets, and put spells around the doors. I finally returned to my office, picking up my suitcase, and glancing around my office one last time before I Disapparate to Hogwarts.

And of course, as luck would have it, I landed in a mud puddle.

“Just my luck,” I mumbled. 

I hoisted my robes up, stepping out of the puddle with my sopping wet feet.

“Wonderful,” I mumbled. “Just magnificent.”

I trudged up the hill from the Quidditch pitch, my soaking wet robes dragging along the ground and picking up every piece of dirt and debris.