Chapter 4: Emerald Eyes (Snape's POV)

I lay awake in bed that night, unable to think of anything but Marceline’s eyes.

There was something about them, something that entranced me and made my heart jump to my throat. They were so perfectly shaped, so deeply green…

She had the same exact eyes as Lily Evans.

It was really haunting how much they reminded me of Lily’s eyes. I couldn’t get to sleep, despite the fact that I was exhausted. I couldn’t go to sleep without seeing Marceline’s eyes again.

But I knew that wasn’t going to happen. Dumbledore would obviously get suspicious if was waking her up at midnight just to see her eyes. Even I'm suspicious of myself for wanting to do so. I'm beginning to question my own sanity. She’s fifteen! Why was I starting to become attracted to her?

I sighed and sat up in bed. I had to find a way to get to sleep. I had potions classes to teach in the morning. Finally, I got up and went to the trunk at the foot of my bed. I rummaged through it, pulling out most of the things inside of it, until I eventually came across the photograph I was looking for.

It was an older picture, with a bent corner and a scratch across the top. But smiling up from the center of the photograph, looking as beautiful as she always had, was Lily Evans.

“Oh Lily,” I sighed. “Why did you have to die?”

I put the photograph down on my nightstand, extinguished the candles in the chandelier hanging from the ceiling, and went back to bed. I fell asleep quickly this time, dreaming about cats with bright green eyes. Why were cats taking over my life? Were they trying to tell me something? I sincerely hope not.

I woke up the next morning at five o’clock, like usual. I put on a new set of robes, which I had bought in preparation for the first day of school. I always wore the same style of black robes. I had since I first started teaching. I got to my classroom early to prepare it for the school year. Realistically, I should have started cleaning a long time ago, but I was dreading going back to school far too much to get here earl just to dust off some cabinets. So, as I said, I went to the classroom early, focused on cleaning the dust off of everything. I put cauldron stands on each of the desks. I was about to take inventory of the potions cabinet when I heard a knock at the door. I sighed, closed the cabinet, and went to the door.

“What do you want?” I asked, swinging the door open.

This was my classroom. Why did everyone seem to think that my classroom and office were good places to bother me? Did they not understand that these were places I went to be alone?

“Ah, Professor Snape, correct?”

I had to keep myself from scowling. It was Umbridge, dressed in powder pink tweed and shoes with flowers on the toes. She wore a ring shaped like a cat.

Again with the cats!

“What do you want?” I asked again, keeping my voice monotone.

She smiled, tilting her head to the side. One of those irritating little giggles escaped her lips. I waited a moment to see if she would speak again, but she just stood there smiling at me. I snapped.

“What. Do. You. Want.”

Her smile disappeared and she crossed her arms, entering my classroom without invitation. I turned around and followed her inside. It took every bit of my self control to keep from yelling at her or Stunning her. She went to my desk and began touching the sprawled belongings.