Chapter 19: A Little Piece of Normal (Marceline's POV)

Chapter 19: A Little Piece of Normal (Marceline’s POV)

As hard as I tried to adapt back to my old life, I just couldn’t do it. And to make things worse, the new Death Eater regime at school made things that much more difficult. I was Snape’s little pet now, living in his shadow, a legend among Death Eaters. They spoke of me as if I were some sort of queen.

And I was definitely treated like a queen. Snape got me elegant gowns from Malfoy Manor, which I wore about school instead of my robes. I didn’t really go to class anymore, anyway. Snape taught me everything.

Of course, when he wasn’t teaching me school lessons, other things went on. What happens behind closed office doors, stays behind closed office doors. In theory…

 Of course, as it had before, word got out. It was okay this time, as I was seventeen now and considered ‘of age’ in the Wizarding world.

One night, Snape woke me roughly and commanded that I get dressed.

“Why?” I mumbled, looking at the clock. It was near midnight.

“There is someone who wants to meet you.”

“Who?”

“The Dark Lord.”

I sat up, stunned. I was going to meet Voldemort?

“Are you serious?” I asked.

“Completely serious. Come on. We have to go to Malfoy Manor.”

“Why now? Why tonight?”

“Because tonight is the Death Eater’s Ball. Tomorrow, he invades the school.”

My heart was really pounding now. The first real battle of the war was to be tomorrow? And I was being dragged off to meet Voldemort?  Oh my god.

“Sev, I don’t think I can do it,” I said quietly. “I don’t think that I can see him face to face.”

“I will be right there with you, Marceline. I will keep you safe. I promise.”

I reluctantly gave in and began getting dressed.

A short time later, we Apparated to Malfoy Manor. I was wearing a floor-length red dress, that thankfully hid my trembling legs. I had hurriedly done my hair, and my earrings dangled with the tinkling noise of metal.

When we came to the marble steps of the ballroom, a man standing at the top of the stairs asked Sev for our names.

“Marceline Cordelia Abbey and Severus Snape,” Sev said.

The man touched his wand to his throat to amplify his voice and announce us.

“Presenting Miss Abbey and Severus Snape,” he called, loud enough for the entire ballroom to hear. The room erupted in applause as we descended the stairs. I felt like I was going to pass out.

And then the sight in that room made my heart thud like a drum. At least a hundred Death Eaters stood about, all wearing black and silver, and their masks. At the front of the room, sitting with his snake, was Voldemort.

I instantly wanted to run. I had never been face to face with him before, and all I felt was fear.

“Are you ready?” asked Sev.

“Ready for what?” I murmured, afraid to take my eyes off of Voldemort.

“We have to go greet him.”

Ugh. Should have seen that one coming…

“I will be right here with you,” Sev reminded me.

Sev led me to Voldemort. He bowed to his master, and then moved out of the way.