Chapter 12: Christmas (Snape's POV)

Chapter 12: Christmas (Snape’s POV)

            I watched as Marceline descended the stairs, dressed in the long green gown I had given to her. Her hair was all pinned up, and she was glowing. It was as if light radiated from the pores of her skin.

            “How do I look?” she asked, twirling around so I could see her from all sides.

            “You look amazing, like usual.”

            She smiled and continued down the stairs, taking my hand. The hallways were deserted, and we didn’t have to fear being seen.

She had put on different makeup than usual, and curled her hair, painting her lips bright red to match her hair. Her eyes were made even more vibrant green by the color of her dress, which fit every curve of her body perfectly.

            “I have to admit, I was very, very pleasantly surprised by my dress,” she said. “I was expecting something thoroughly hideous.”

            “You doubt my sense of fashion?”

            She laughed. I loved the sound of her laugh. It was light and airy, and reminded me of wind rustling in the trees.

“Where did you get this dress anyway?” she asked.

“Well, I have to admit I didn’t pick it out on my own. I had a bit of help from a friend.”

She raised an eyebrow as if to ask, “You, Severus Snape, have female friends?”

“Well, regardless, I love it,” she said.

“Oh, that reminds me,” I said, halting suddenly. “I have your gift.”

I fished about in my pocket and pulled out the little velvet box. I led Marceline over to a windowsill that faced out to an open courtyard, and sat her down. Her eyes grew wide and she smiled.

“I’ve never gotten a Christmas gift in my entire life,” she admitted quietly.

“Well I'm glad mine could be your first.”

I handed her the box. She smiled up at me before looking back down at it and opening it.

“Oh, Sev! It’s beautiful!”

She pulled the little gold locket out of the box and held it up, looking closely at it.

“Go ahead, put it on,” I said, sitting down next to her.

She held it up and put it around her neck. The little emerald in the center glittered brightly, the same color of her eyes.

“Thank you so much,” she said, clasping it behind her neck.

I brushed my fingers over the chain, down her neck, and to her chest. I moved in with every intention of kissing her…

“We have to go to dinner,” she reminded me with a laugh, pressing her fingers to my lips.

“Right,” I said, putting my hand back to my side. “Come on, let’s go downstairs to the feast.”

All through dinner, I silently watched Marceline as she interacted with other students. Her smile was radiant in the light from the candles. Her hair bounced when she laughed. And her eyes—those beautiful, deep green eyes—glowed like Christmas baubles. She would glance up at me occasionally, her whole face lighting up. She was almost as radiant as the surrounding hall…

And the hall was decorated magnificently, like usual. There were twelve giant Christmas trees, each decorated from top to bottom, candles twinkling everywhere, and snow falling from the enchanted sky. Tomorrow morning, the tables would all be moved out and the floor would be an enchanted ice skating rink. Of course, we couldn’t ice skate together in front of everyone tomorrow, so instead I had a surprise for Marceline…