Chapter 3: The Feast (Marceline's POV)

Chapter 3: The Feast (Marceline’s POV)

At dinner, I took a seat with my fellow Slytherins. I looked up at the teachers’ table and noticed a strange woman in the place Professor Moody had sat in last year.

“Is she the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher?” I asked Draco.

“Yeah,” he answered. “She’s from the Ministry. Her names Umbridge.”

I glanced up at her. She looked like a toad dressed all in pink. That was who the Ministry sent in attempts to take over? That pink tweed-wearing, smiley, giggly toad? Yet, despite her looks, I still had a bad feeling about her.

“I have a feeling she’s going to be trouble,” I mumbled.

“You’ll be fine,” Draco reassured me. “If she gives you any trouble, just tell me and I’ll get my father to take care of it for you.”

“Thanks,” I mumbled.

Another thing that annoyed me: Draco’s ability to get his father to take care of anything for him. From the time I was a few years old, I had always been stuck fending for myself. Although I was used to it by now, it annoyed me that he was so spoiled. He wanted a new broom? He got it. He wanted sweets? He got them—in fact, hi mother sent him sweets every weekend. He wanted new robes? He got them. Half the time he didn’t even wear school regulation house robes; he wore impeccably tailored suits that his mother had custom-made for him.

And then there was me. I wanted a new cauldron? I had to write a letter to Grandma Beatrice and wait for money. I wanted sweets? I had to stock up on them during weekend trips to Hogsmeade. I wanted new robes? I had to go buy them off the rack at Madame Malkins. I had taught myself how to sew so I could have fancy clothes. My jewelry were all things Grandma Beatrice got for me. Thankfully, she had wonderful taste.

Exasperated by my Slytherin company, I looked over to the Gryffindor table across the room. Harry was sitting with Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and a few other friends. Harry looked up for just a moment and smiled at me. I smiled back. I hope Draco didn’t notice…

I looked back to our table and noticed that Pansy Parkinson had her elbows on the table.

“Elbows off the table,” I said quietly.

“Excuse me?” she said, her voice full of loathing.

“Rule number twelve,” I whispered. “Elbows off the table.”

She looked at me like I had four heads and laughed. I couldn’t help it though; those rules were drilled into my mind like a brand. Everywhere I went, those twenty rules followed with me. I couldn’t escape them no matter how hard I tried. I didn’t follow them when I wasn’t home, but I still recited them like an idiot.

I turned and looked at Draco, who had his brow furrowed and was looking at me like I was insane.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

“Yeah, I'm fine. I just…”

“Welcome back, students,” Dumbledore called, his voice amplified.

Everyone in the hall fell silent, except for Draco, because, of course, he was just so special.

“Another beginning of the year speech,” said Draco, rolling his eyes.

“I don’t think I can sit through many more of his speeches,” Nott said.

“Well, maybe we won’t have to. My father says word around the Ministry is that Umbridge is going to replace Dumbledore,” Draco said to us. “I wouldn’t doubt that it’s true either.”