19 | luke & michael

edited 01.20.17

l u k e

Luke took a deep breath, braiding his hands deep into his hair before running them down his face. He was drained. Emotionally, physically, and mentally drained. He hasn't slept all night because Calum was in the hospital.

"Calum's asthma acted up when he had the panic attack," Doctor Jones spoke in a whisper. The waiting room was half full with people just here for Calum: Liz, Rosalie, Luke, Michael, Ashton, Ella, Mali (Calum's sister), and Ella's step brother Kian.

"We gave him some sedative to calm him down. His adrenaline levels were very high, so we told him that he should rest."

Four hours. Luke hadn't seen Calum in four hours. Luke remembered Ashton barging into Luke's house, only asking Calum related questions when Michael called out to Luke.

Calum wasn't breathing.

And neither was Luke in that moment.

Luke rode in the ambulance while Michael and Ashton drove closely behind, all because this was Luke's best friend. He watched Calum breakdown tonight, watched a layer get yanked from Calum's cool and protected self, and watched it get stepped on.

All because of Ashton.

Luke couldn't help but feel a little anger towards Ashton, but Luke didn't get the full reason on what happened between the two. And he was going to die before he let something like this happen again.

"Thank you, doctor," Mali let out with a sigh. "When can I visit him?"

"Now if you'd like. One at a time, though, we don't want to overstimulate our progress and make him feel pushed into talking about it." Mali nodded, sending Luke a sad smile before walking in.

"You okay?" Michael asked Luke quietly. Luke nodded, tensing as he felt someone touch his shoulder. He didn't want to be touched until he knew Calum was okay.

"J-just a bit nauseous, that's all." Luke nodded to himself, gulping as he stared at the door of Calum's hospital room.

"Luke," Michael said sweetly. Luke only hummed, not taking his eyes off the door. "Look at me."

And so Luke did.

He looked right into Michael's green eyes. The pale shade of jade was somewhat comforting to the blonde boy and he found himself falling forward, Michael's arms wrapping the small boy in a hug.

"I'm not fine at all." Luke grasped Michael's shirt in his hands while Michael brought the boy to his lap, just keeping him close.

The waiting room was silent. Ashton was sat on the floor next to Calum's room, Ella was talking in sign language to Kian, Rosalie was eating a granola bar while Liz held her, and Michael was just holding an ever-so-quiet Luke.

That was until Luke said this.

"Would you hate me if I -uh, l-liked w-wearing girl c-clothes?" Luke managed out, keeping his head against Michael's chest so he wouldn't have to see his face.

"Do you really think you should be asking questions like that at a time like this?" Michael asked quietly in Luke's ear. Luke was tense, but Michael's hand didn't stop running up and down Luke's arm. That kind of set the nervousness aside.