Calypso

Calypso busied herself in the kitchen, washing dishes

Calypso busied herself in the kitchen, washing dishes. The smell of the fresh bread she was baking drifted through the open window, into the gardens, where the sweet smell of flowers returned the favor. Calypso had to keep herself busy or else she'd lose herself in disappointment. She had been expecting Leo to turn up today. She had strained her ears all morning, but had not heard if the slightest ring of a bell.

She was interrupted in her thoughts by the abrupt slam of the kitchen door. Guards poured into the kitchen, and in no time, Calypso was surrounded, forced to the ground, and restrained.

"What is going on?" she demanded, as she was roughly shoved down the hall of the castle.

"You are to be executed along with Mellie, the seamstress, for treason against Rome."

"On what terms?" Calypso demanded.

"Assisting in the escape of a level 6 prisoner." She bit her lip. Piper.

Calypso was brought to the courtyard, where she could faintly smell a light draft of smoke- her bread. The gears started to turn in her head. It was the perfect distraction. She only needed to figure out how to use to her advantage. But she didn't have the time, and thinking under pressure wasn't her strong suit.

She was led to the gallows, where Mellie was already waiting, the rope looped around her neck, tears staining her cheeks. They fit her into a noose, and the executioner began drearily reading them their charges. The smell of smoke was getting stronger. Calypso was surprised no one else had noticed. She tried to make eye contact with Mellie, but the seamstress was despondent. She was shaking so badly Calypso was afraid she'd fall apart long before the noose got her.

Out of nowhere, a loosely aimed arrow impaled itself in the executioner's shoulder. He groaned in pain. Both girls looked up, searching for the arrow's source. Mellie giggled, her cheeks still stained with tears.

"You couldn't have took the time for better aim?" A man landed on the ground beside her, cutting through the noose with a dagger, and embracing her with a hug.

"If I had to hear one more word of that blabber, you weren't the only one who was going to die." Mellie giggled again, and Calypso almost lost her lunch. This guy didn't seem all that great, but he made Mellie happy, so she supposed that was good enough for her. The guy grinned almost narcissistically, wrapping his arm around Mellie. He seemed just then to notice the people gawking. He cleared his throat, facing them. 

"DIE!!!!!!!!! Your castle's on fire." This sent everyone into a frenzy. Hedge grinned again, and turned his head to the castle wall. "Valdez! will you stop your flip-flopping and just jump already?"

"Are you sure this is safe?" a familiar voice called from the top of the wall.

"Eh, safety's overrated."