Luke

Luke was going to die.

He had been stabbed by a Roman soldier, and dragged off the battlefield by one of his soldiers. There was no doubt in his mind that this was the end. He could already feel himself slipping away. Weakly, he grasped the shoulder of his comrade.

"Get...Nico." He gasped. The soldier nodded and ran off to grab him. Luke closed his eyes. Cannons fired around him. People screamed. Swords clanged. All he could smell was blood, rust, and smoke. The battle was deafening. He was shaken out of his thoughts by footsteps on the ground coming his way.

"Luke," Nico said, kneeling next to his fallen friend.

"Nico-" Luke whispered. "Grace- I need to see her... Before I...go." Nico bowed his head, but nodded.

"Help me lift him," he commanded the recruit, who obeyed without question. They carried him into the town, and into a little house. They lay him down on the cold stone floor, and Luke could hear Nico descend the stairs into the cellar.  

"Grace? Come here, sweetie. There's someone to see you." Two sets up feet came back up the stairs, one treading lighter than the other. 

"Grace," Nico said gently. "This is-"

"Daddy," she finished, kneeling next to him. "Mommy's told me about you. You have the scar," she explained, tracing the scar down his face. Luke smiled. She had her mother's electric blue eyes, but his light blonde hair.

"It's nice to finally meet you," he whispered. She smiled back, but it faded. She looked down, silent for a while.

"You're going to die, aren't you." She said quietly. Luke paused, then nodded slowly.

"Yeah, I am. But you're in good hands. And it was for a good reason. I was protecting you. That's reason enough for me." She smiled, and took his hand into her tiny ones, and held it.

"I love you daddy."

"I love you too." She held his hand tightly until it went limp. Even after, she cradled it, silent tears streaming down her face, until Nico gently pulled her away from her dead father, and asked the soldier to take him away.