Reyna

Reyna marched through the battlefield. A ceasefire had been called. She was to meet with the leader of the Greeks as a representative of the King. She stood in position, her expression unreadable. A figure made their way through the Greek lines. They didn't have to push their way through, people made way for them, and even Reyna had to admit, that was the trait of a true leader. Reyna's admiration turned to disgust as the figure approached. It was the princess who had escaped with Jason.

"What are you doing here?" Reyna demanded.

"I am the Queen of Greece," she responded with composure. "As of yesterday, when your forces killed my father." Reyna was seething, but she didn't let it show.

"I was told that you would like to speak on peaceful terms."

"Yes," Piper agreed. "I was hoping you could catch me up on why we are fighting this war in the first place." She waited patiently for an answer.

"You don't know?" Reyna asked.

"Well, if I did I wouldn't be asking, now would I?" Piper responded.

"There is a long story behind it. Longer since I wouldn't expect you to know simple Roman history." she paused and sighed. "When King Jupiter was a prince, he was betrothed to a young noble lady named Juno. They were married when he was eighteen. She was seventeen. They had many children together. A few years after their last child together, Juno became paranoid. Most people in our kingdom draw it up to a mental illness. She became paranoid that Jupiter was betraying her. The milkmaid, the chef, the laundress. In her eyes, her husband was cheating on her with all of them.

"Her paranoia became obsessive. She tried to kill the king in his sleep one night. As a tribute to the happy years they had spent together, he spared her life. She was banished from Rome. His next wife was a beautiful woman named Beryl. They had a daughter. They named her Thalia." Piper exchanged looks with Annabeth, who was next her. Both girls' eyes were wide.

"Princess Thalia was celebrated throughout the entire kingdom. The other children of the king, the ones born of him and Juno, proved troublemakers. They were all imprisoned in some other kingdom, or even in Rome itself. Princess Thalia was to be the heir to the throne of Rome.

"Three weeks after her birth, in the dead of night, the princess was kidnapped from the castle. A witness from the village claimed they saw Juno with the princess in her arms, aided by soldiers with the Greek insignia. A few years later a baby boy, Prince Jason, with whom you are well acquainted, was born. King Jupiter has been plotting his revenge for years. He has finally laid out his revenge. But we are reasonable people. Release our princess, and we will withdraw our forces." Piper grinned. This was an unusual response to a threat of death that Reyna was not accustomed to.

"But this is all a huge misunderstanding!" she cried. "I know Thalia! She's one of my best friends! As far as I know she has been raised in this village her entire life. She married the captain of the guard and they had a child together. I don't know her background, but I'm sure we'll get this all figured out!" Annabeth leaned over and whispered something in her ear. Piper's face dropped. "Are you sure?!?" she whispered. Annabeth nodded. Piper turned and whispered to a guard behind her, who nodded and ran off. ]]

"What is the matter?" Reyna demanded. Piper frowned.

"I have received some troubling news. Thalia's husband, Captain Luke of the guard was killed in battle, and when Thalia received the news..." she trailed off.

"What?" Reyna demanded.

"It killed her," she finished. Reyna frowned. "This isn't good. The king will not be happy."

"Wait!" Piper interrupted. "Hasn't there been enough bloodshed? We've lost friends, you've lost your princess, can't we figure this out diplomatically? We'll bring her daughter and Thalia's best friend, who I've been told can clear this all up for us. We'll figure this out without losing anymore lives, okay?" Reyna hesitated.

"Fine," she decided. "I suppose as long as we can work this out there is no need for more bloodshed. But hurry." Piper nodded.

"Thank you."