Leo

Third outfit     

            Third outfit     

Calypso's head was still resting on Leo's shoulder when the cart stopped. Leo waited. And waited. And waited. He shook Calypso awake. Finally,  threw open the carriage door, rousing Calypso.

"Hmm? What's going on?" She muttered sleepily as she tried to adjust her eyes.

"Get ready to run," Leo whispered. "I have a bad feeling." He threw open the door. "Hedge? Mellie?" Leo looked up at the seating, and no one was there. The reigns lay unoccupied in the seat. "Hello?" No answer. Calypso got out of the carriage, and stood next to him. Without thinking, he slid his hand into hers.

"Where are they?" she asked, but Leo didn't answer. Instead, he called out again.

"Hello?" He heard footsteps, off into the woods a ways, and voices:

"Do you hear that?" one of the voices said. His voice was gruff and deep.

"Hear what?" This voice was younger.

"Voices. Didn't I tell you to check the cart thoroughly?"

"I-I-uh...."

"I knew it. Get back there! Now!" They heard a scream, and Leo dragged Calypso in the opposite direction.

"Wait- what- where are you going!" she sputtered. Exasperated, he scooped her up, much to her protest.

"Saving your life."

"But Hedge and Mellie! They could be back there!" Leo shook his head, fighting tears.

"There's nothing we can do for them now." This threw Calypso into a fit.

Leo clasped his hand over her mouth, and held her tightly to keep her from thrashing, as he pulled them behind the bushes. Four figures came rom the other side of the road, and threw open the door to his cart, carelessly tossing out items: lamp shades, rusty coins, old charcoal pencils, and chipped empty bottles of ink.

"There's no one here!" One of the figures cried, and in the firelight, Leo could see the insignia on their armor- roman.

"Scan everything in a five mile radius," one of them commanded. "We'll find them. Dead or alive."