Hello (Destiel)

Written for a friend of mine, song fic :P Fun fact, this was written before the song became popular and everyone knew it. And it's written from the cover by Connor Maynard, because I like that version better.

~~(Deano's pov)

Hello, it's me

I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet

To go over everything

They say that time's supposed to heal ya, but I ain't done much healing

Time has passed since I escaped from Purgatory. I'm back in the real world, back with Sammy. Everything should seem okay right now...but everything feels wrong.

I'm sitting in the front seat of the Impala, a beer in one hand and tears filling my eyes. And so many regrets flying through my mind.

Hello, can you hear me?

I'm just at a house dreaming about who we used to be

When we were younger and free

I've forgotten how it felt before the world fell at our feet

Castiel...he's still in Purgatory. After so long of trying to get out, I had failed him at the last moment.

I take another swig from the beer bottle, all memories of Castiel rushing through my head. Screw hiding the feelings I've had for that angel from the start, it's too late now anyway.

There's such a difference between us

And a million miles

Now there's a world between me and Castiel. There is no way for me to get back to Purgatory, and almost no chance that Cas will survive. So far away from each other, and no way to ever close that distance.

Hello from the other side

I must've called a thousand times

To tell you I'm sorry for everything that I've done

But when I call you never seem to be home

I've prayed to Cas, prayed so many times. But no reply ever comes, only dead silence. I close my eyes, sending out another one of the countless prayers...but nothing comes in return.

I throw the empty bottle to the side and grab another out, trying hard to drown my sorrows, but the sorrows from a broken heart cannot be drowned or killed. They will always be there. The pain from leaving Cas behind will never leave me.

Hello from the outside

At least I can say that I've tried

To tell you I'm sorry for breaking your heart

But it don't matter, it clearly doesn't tear you apart

Anymore

The way we had found Cas after I thought he was dead. The way his clothes were torn and dirty and he looked so broken. The feeling of relief that I had felt as I wrapped my arms around my angel.

All memories etched into my very soul, memories I'll never forget. All memories leading up to that moment where I had failed my angel.

Hello, how are you?

It's so typical of me to talk about myself, I'm sorry

I hope that you're well

Did you ever make it out of that town where nothing ever happened?

I choke a sob back as I think about what Cas would be doing now. He could be hiding in the shadows, he could be running from the monsters, he could be fighting them off...or he could be dead.

From the moment I first saw Castiel I'd felt something towards him. But being me, I'd kept all the feelings hidden, not wanting to alarm the angel or make things worse for him. But I'd planned on telling him one day.

It's no secret that the both of us

Are running out of time

I should never have left it so late to tell Cas. A hunter and a broken angel, neither of us were going to last long. But I had still made that mistake. And now as I drink away the pain, I have no greater regret than Cas never hearing those words.

Hello from the other side

I must've called a thousand times

To tell you I'm sorry for everything that I've done

But when I call you never seem to be home

I throw the beer bottle away, dropping my head into my hands. The sobs shake through my body as my mind relived that final memory.

It broke me so much. Every day, every single second, I couldn't stop thinking about how I had failed, how I had left Castiel alone. And no matter how much I apologized Cas would never hear me.

Hello from the outside

At least I can say that I've tried

To tell you I'm sorry for breaking your heart

But it don't matter, it clearly doesn't tear you apart

Anymore

I try to wipe away the tears falling but they were endless. I can't help it as another sob shakes through me. My angel, the one who had saved my life and changed it so much, was gone. Cas had sacrificed so much for me, pretty much everything he'd ever believed in...and I couldn't even do so much for him as to pull him through a portal.

Hello from the other side

I must've called a thousand times

To tell you I'm sorry for everything that I've done

But when I call you never seem to be home

I could remember, that very last moment, when I was standing there with Cas's hand in mine. And I could remember as Castiel's hand slipped from mine and he was gone. The last thing I ever saw in Purgatory was Cas's face, sad and broken.

Hello from the outside

At least I can say that I've tried

To tell you I'm sorry for breaking your heart

But it don't matter, it clearly doesn't tear you apart

Anymore

And I could remember, as the portal closed, cutting me off from Cas, the words I had spoken into the void. The words I should've said long ago but never could. The words I had finally said, but a moment too late. One moment too late and Castiel never heard.

"I love you Cas."