Eyes (Destiel/Sabriel)

Here's a fun little soulmate fic!

Everyone can see colours. That's just the way the world is. You can see almost every colour in existence. Almost.

Everyone is born without the ability to see one specific colour. That colour is generally the colour of their soulmates eyes. The first time they touch their soulmate, they finally gain the ability to see that colour.

Touch, not meet. Some people meet their soulmate and don't know for years that it's them, not until they touch them. Others are lucky enough to physically run into their soulmate.

Dean Winchester has never been able to see the blue of the sky.

His younger brother Sam can't see a very specific shade of gold.

Castiel Novak can't see the green grass or leaves.

Gabriel can't see...well we all know Sam has a complicated eye colour.

~~

"Dean," Sam had asked one day when they were younger. "What is dad drinking?"

"It's whiskey," Dean said, looking at the glass John had placed on the table, the sun shining through it. "Why?"

"It's grey."

Dean looked at his younger brother and then back at the glass. "No it's...gold."

Sam shook his head. "I can't see it."

"Huh," Dean said. "Your soulmate must have golden eyes then Sammy." Sam tilted his head curiously at that.

"What colour can't you see Dean?" Sam asked.

"I don't know," Dean said. "It's hard to tell when you've grown up without it." Sam just nodded absentmindedly.

It was only about a year later that Sam noticed something odd about Dean.

"Dean," Sam said. "You uh...you're wearing a raincoat."

"It's cloudy," Dean said. "It might rain."

"Dean the sky is clear."

"What no, it's grey."

"Dean, can you not see blue?"

Dean paused at that, looking up at the sky above him that had always been grey. "I...guess not. Are you telling me all these days it's been sunny I've been overdressing?"

Sam just laughed at his older brother.

~~

"Cassie what's got you moping around?" Gabe asked.

"The world looks miserable," Cas muttered, looking out the window.

"Well that's one way to think of it," Gabe said. He looked out at where Cas was looking. "Why is it miserable?"

"It's a sunny day," Cas said. "Yet there's still so much darkness." Gabe blinked.

"What do you mean?"

"The grass, the trees, everything just looks...depressing."

"Cas you realize everything is this brilliant shade of green right?"

"What?"

Gabe chuckled. "You can't see green can you?"

Cas looked between Gabe and the window. "I guess not."

Gabriel however was not so easy to discover the colour of his soulmates eyes. He could see every colour that he knew of, he could see green and blue and brown. Nothing ever really seemed unusual to him.