Draw Me the Galaxy (Sabriel)

Fun little soulmate AU :D I may write a destiel one from the same verse

Gabriel Novak, 12 years old, smiled down at his hand as a small smiley face appeared there in black ink. They'd just learnt about the soulmate system in school.

In this world, almost everyone had a soulmate. And if you drew on your skin, it would show up on your soulmates skin too. The only rule to this was that you couldn't write. Any words you wrote on your skin wouldn't show up on your soulmates. This prevented being able to actually communicate with them.

Gabe went and found a blue pen, and drew a second smiley face under the first one from his soulmate. There was no reply from his soulmate, but the first smiley face was still there, smiling up at him.

~~

Gabriel was 17 now, in high school. For the last five years after that first smiley face he had seen from his soulmate, he hadn't really heard much more from them. But Gabe would draw on his hand every day.

Usually it was just something simple, like a pattern or a star or something. Other times he would draw realistic animals, feathers or wings, and quite often he would just draw wings on his fingers. Never on his ring finger though.

Today was like any other day. Gabe was in class, and he'd gotten a pen out to draw a ring around his middle finger. He'd been doing that all week, a simple black band with a different coloured gem in the middle each day.

He drew it with a red gem this time. But he didn't notice the same ring appear on the hand of a kid a few years younger than him at the same school.

~~

23 years old and in college now, and Gabe was hanging out in his apartment. He was looking down at his left arm, the one he always drew on. Sometimes he'd get a small smiley face or a messy sketch, but most of the time his soulmate stayed silent.

Today he was drawing a wing up his arm, spreading all the way from his shoulder. His drawing ability had increased over the years. He added in each individual feather and made them perfectly realistic.

Then he realized the lines appearing on his right hand, the one that wasn't drawn on. It was a small sketch of a country, America from what Gabe could tell.

It took Gabe a moment to realize that his soulmate was telling him where he was. While they couldn't write, it wasn't uncommon for soulmates to communicate through drawings instead.

Gabe smiled and circled the state he was in on top of his soulmates little drawing. The response was a smiley face and another circle around the same state. Gabe smiled, because that meant his soulmate was near him.

~~

It was winter now. Gabe painted the galaxy on his arm in the morning, pretty much colouring the whole thing in, but when he went out to meet his brother Cas and Cas's soulmate, he had to put sleeves and gloves on to not freeze.

They were meeting at a coffee shop, and Gabe walked in to see Cas and someone else sitting beside him.

"Gabriel," Cas said in greeting as Gabe sat down across from them. "This is Dean. My soulmate."

Gabe raised an eyebrow. "So how exactly did this happen?"

"Cas kept drawing optical illusions on my arm," Dean said. Gabe couldn't help but laugh at that.

"I was walking around the other day and saw someone glaring at their arm with confusion," Cas said with a sheepish smile. "Turned out that was my fault."

"Good job bro," Gabe said with a slow clap.

"Well have you met yours yet?" Cas asked.

"Nope," Gabe said, pulling up his sleeve slightly to show the galaxy on his arm. "I don't think he has much artistic talent."

"That..." Dean said, looking at the drawing. "That actually looks strangely familiar."

"Maybe you walked past the guy at some point," Gabe said. "Assuming it's a guy." Dean just nodded, looking at the drawing with a confused look.

Eventually Gabe left the couple alone, and was walking back to his apartment in the cold. He had his jacket pulled tight around him and his hands in his pockets.

And then he walked past an idiot.

Why was this person an idiot? Well they had a t-shirt on. In this freezing weather.

"Woah dude are you insane?" Gabe said, stopping to walk over to the tall guy sitting on a bench looking at his phone. "How aren't you cold?"

"Oh I'm freezing," the guy said.

"Then why the hell don't you have a jacket?" Gabe asked.

"I was...I was waiting for someone," the guy said, looking down sheepishly and holding out his arm. "One day they'll come." Gabe nodded, understanding immediately that the guy was waiting for his soulmate.

Then he noticed the drawing on the guys arm.

It was the mirror image of the galaxy on his own arm.

Gabe blinked slowly, and looked back up at the guys face. He had long hair, and hazel eyes that had a spark to them. And he looked a few years younger than Gabe too.

"Well," Gabe said, sitting down beside the guy and pulling his jacket off. He put the jacket over the other guys shoulder, who was looking at him in surprise. "Name's Gabriel, you?"

"Sam," Sam replied, still looking at Gabe with confusion. Gabe just took off his gloves and passed them to Sam.

"Jackets a bit small but it'll warm you up at least," Gabe said as Sam took the gloves with more confusion.

This however left the drawing on Gabe's arm completely visible. And it took Sam a few moments to notice the drawing entirely covering Gabe's arm.

"Oh," Sam said, surprised. He looked up at Gabe with a smile. "Hi."

"Hey there," Gabe said, returning the smile.

"You're an amazing artist," Sam blurted out suddenly and Gabe just chuckled.

"I'd say the same for you...well I mean, as far as stick figures go they're pretty good."

"I'm the worst at drawing," Sam said. "You draw these amazing things every day that show up on my arm and I have to reply with the worst things. Most of the time I just didn't because I didn't want to ruin your drawing."

"Sam, I honestly would not have cared," Gabe said, smiling. "So, want to go somewhere? Maybe somewhere warm? Where you don't severely need sleeves?"

Sam chuckled. "Definitely." The two of them stood up, and Gabe reached into his pocket, pulling out a pen. Sam watched as Gabe took Sam's hand and drew a little smiley face there, and then looked back at his own to where it had just appeared.

Gabe smiled. "Do you mind me drawing on your hand for the rest of our lives?"

"Please never stop," Sam said, smiling widely. With that he took Gabe's hand, and the two of them walked off together.

From then on, there'd always be some sort of drawing on their arms. Although quite often is was drawn on Sam's arm, by Gabe, and appeared on Gabe's arm. And sometimes Gabe would draw something symmetrical, just so it would become one drawing as they stood side by side. Just like their souls did.