First

"It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped."

Tony Robbins

******

I chose to ride on the carriage with Seamus Finigan, Ginny and Dean, sure it was uncomfortable, but it was better than being around Blaise and Daphne.

I spent most of the ride talking to Seamus and avoiding to look at Ginny and Dean who were apparently making up for the time that they had lost together during the summer.

"Please tell me that you are not sitting with him." I said as we entered the Great Hall. "I mean, no offence Dean, but you guys just remind me of how single I am."

Ginny laughed. "Fine, I'll sit with you." she said looping her arm with mine as we made our way to the Gryffindor table.

We sat opposite Ron and Hermione.

"So," I said casually as we started eating, "Blaise has a new girlfriend."

Ginny almost chocked. "What? Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I did not know until a few hours ago."

"Wait, he didn't even at least tell you?" she asked frowning.

"Oh, yeah, but it gets worse. The girl he's dating, is Daphne." I said.

"Daphne Greengrass? Your friend Daphne Greengrass?" said Ginny in shock. "But she was always so nice, the nicest Slytherin I've ever met."

"Yeah well, it gets even worse. They started dating before the end of last term." I said.

"Well, that's just inconsiderate. I didn't think it was possible for Zabini to hurt you even more after that breakup! You know, I can perform a mean Bat Bogey Hex, I can get them both for you." she said determinedly.

I hugged her. "You are the best friend in the world." I told her. "But it's okay, They can do whatever they like."

"Well, if either of them just happens to have bats flying out of their nose anytime soon, you should know that it wasn't an accident."

I laughed at this as we continued to eat. Suddenly, the door to the Great Hall opened and Harry Potter walked in, dressed in Muggle clothes with blood on his face. I saw Draco smirking as he entered. I had a good idea of what it was that Draco had been 'checking' after I left him in the train.

"The very best of evenings to you!" Dumbledore said, smiling broadly, his arms opened wide as though to embrace the whole room.

"What happened to his hand?" gasped Ginny.

"I don't know, it looks dead." I said.

She was not the only one who had noticed. Dumbledore's right hand was blackened and dead-looking. Whispers swept the room; Dumbledore, interpreting them correctly, merely smiled and shook his purple-and-gold sleeve over his injury.

"Nothing to worry about," he said airily. "Now . . . to our new students, welcome, to our old students, welcome back! Another year full of magical education awaits you. Now, Mr. Filch, our caretaker, has asked me to say that there is a blanket ban on any joke items bought at the shop called Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes."

"What? But Hogwarts is your biggest money maker!" Ginny whispered.

"Oh, please, Gin. You really think that we didn't hatch up a plan anticipating something like this?" I asked. "Give your brothers a little credit." I grinned.

"Those wishing to play for their House Quidditch teams should give their names to their Heads of House as usual. We are also looking for new Quidditch commentators, who should do likewise.